What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Before and after series (9)

How did you get that back so clear from the browned out photo m8 ?

Last edited:
WOW how did you do this????!!!! I mean this is so good at first I thought that the first one is before and you added a brown color to the picture, I mean you wouldn't think it's not oriergionaly like that

WOW how did you do this????!!!! I mean this is so good at first I thought that the first one is before and you added a brown color to the picture, I mean you wouldn't think it's not oriergionaly like that

Thank you for your comment..

Come on m8 tell us how you did this or if you can’t explain it in detail how's about you post your PSD, so we can see the stages that you needed to do this, that would be good to see how you built it up from before to after because that’s a great repair you did and we would like to learn the skills you have mastered.
The reason I ask is I have a picture of my daughter when she was 4 that has gone brown and it’s nowhere as bad as that example of yours, that I have tried to repair and I have not got within 40% as good as your effort.

Last edited:
Come on m8 tell us how you did this or if you can’t explain it in detail how's about you post your PSD, so we can see the stages that you needed to do this, that would be good to see how you built it up from before to after because that’s a great repair you did and we would like to learn the skills you have mastered.
The reason I ask is I have a picture of my daughter when she was 4 that has gone brown and it’s nowhere as bad as that example of yours, that I have tried to repair and I have not got within 40% as good as your effort.

dude have ever thought that maybe its his job or he gets paied for it? why would he tell you his skills for free the most I asked him is to suggest me a tutorial video because they are there to teach people how to do this but I think your asking too much

We all tell people our skills for free, it's what we do here. Obviously asking a bit much for the .psd but at least some hints for those asking would have been courteous at the very least.

but he did give us hints in his earlier thread and that is what I said people normally don't give psds in here cuz that is not really helping the other dude its basically spoon feeding them and if coloring and restoring old picture is what he does for living or he just makes money from it, obviously he wouldn't give out his secrets so he could create more competition for himself

but he did give us hints in his earlier thread and that is what I said people normally don't give psds in here cuz that is not really helping the other dude its basically spoon feeding them and if coloring and restoring old picture is what he does for living or he just makes money from it, obviously he wouldn't give out his secrets so he could create more competition for himself

Fair points I guess buddy, I have given the odd .psd but only when trying to explain something. Certainly would not give a .psd out for some work I have done unless as above, for tutorial purposes.

Oh I am sorry Alix I thought the idea of this site was to ask for Photoshop help or did I get it wrong ?

Like I said I was keen to see how it could be done, so from now on we are not allowed to ask questions is that about it ? so just pat you all on the back instead ?

Unfortunately, having available only an extremely low rez version of the starting image makes it difficult to do a good job restoring it.

That being said, I can just about guarantee that the OP used three major technques:

1. Bring the image directly into PS, making absolutely sure that you make no changes in ACR. Next, put a "Levels" adjustment layer above the image. Iteratively adjust the three main sliders (ie, directly below the graph) for each of the three color channels. Specifically, there are regions of no pixels on the left and right sides of the histograms for each of the three color channels. For each of the channels, bring the left and right sliders in to the points where the histogram is starting to take off. Iterate this process many times, including the middle (ie, gamma) slider, trying to get the visually best color.

2. You should clean up the image both before and after step #1. I used Topaz de-JPG and Topaz de-noise to clean it up.

3, Put another levels adjustment layer above the partially cleaned image and tweak the color again (in exactly the way described in #1), but using finer adjustments to dial in the colors even closer.

The result of steps #1-3 yielded the image attached below.

To get the final result closer to what was shown by the OP, you will likely need to do one more step, painting the different parts of the image (eg, dress, lips, etc.) with color, much like is often done to B&W photos. This "colorization" step can be done manually if you have a good eye and a steady hand, or you can get a bit of help from plugins such as AKVIS "Coloriage" (http://akvis.com/en/coloriage/index.php).

HTH,

Tom M

PS - If you plan on using a final colorizing step, then you shouldn't saturate the colors as much as I did in this example. Adjust them only enough to see what they are, and then paint with color over them.

Attachments

• 251598_10150213515712042_663332041_7067031_7409212_n-01_acr0-ps02a-01.jpg
    251598_10150213515712042_663332041_7067031_7409212_n-01_acr0-ps02a-01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thanks Tom
I will indeed try out your steps, its nice of you to try and explain how its done to me
Regards
Bryan

Oh I am sorry Alix I thought the idea of this site was to ask for Photoshop help or did I get it wrong ?

Like I said I was keen to see how it could be done, so from now on we are not allowed to ask questions is that about it ? so just pat you all on the back instead ?

umm did you even read what I had to say cuz even Remote-Medic agreed with me, I never said don't ask question we all do this is what these forums are about, but there are boundries, what you did was a transgression you asked for the .psd which people normally don't give out and you asked for a lot of details so you can fix your own pictures. Well unless the OP has opened a charity recently he wouldn't give specific details or .psds as I said he is good enough to have this as a job or SHOULD have it as a job cuz I have rarely seen any thing clean and well done as his work you don't seem to understand that people have professional lives around here and don't want to give out their skills for free

Alix It’s not so much I didn’t read what you said it was the way you said it.

Members here ask all for help all the time on how to do something that they do not know how too, you make it sound like I am the only one who has ever asked how to do something?

And yes I would give out my PSD to anyone who asked for it unless it was a job I did for someone (then I would agree you shouldn’t give that away), this is a before and after section so I would guess it’s properly not a commissioned job the OP did wouldn’t you?

As for asking for how he did it being a secret! If no one here wrote about what and how they did it things, then no one would learn anything new here would they?

Tom was very nice and answered my original question to the OP Thanks again Tom, and that’s all I wanted in the first place, all I said to the OP was if you can’t explain how it was done perhaps he could up his PSD so I could see how he did it, now I know it’s was crime I will not do it again.

Anyway enough said

and all I said was that maybe its his job and people do post their stuff in here even if they are professional but this is what you said incase you forgot:
you were basically demanding him that is why I got angry and you don't seem to know that asking for PSD is too much its ok if you do it, I do some times too but that is only for tutorials and even RM agreed with me on that and you are still arguing, you were asking for too much and you seem to ignore what he had to say you only read what you want to read not what people actually say

WRT to disclosing / teaching Photoshop and photography technique on Internet forums, I probably have a more extreme POV than most folks. First, a relevant bit of background about me: Probably 10% of my day job is shooting and Photoshopping photos for advertising and PR brochures put out by my employer. My feeling is that:

a) Teaching is inherently a noble cause. If one has the knowledge and time, and it will not cost you anything in terms of lost revenue, one should always try to help others.

b) Many individuals, websites and books have brought me to my current level of skill. If possible, one should try to repay this by helping others.

c) At minimum, the "teacher" should always post an image that demonstrates that the method that they are suggesting can actually accomplish the task at hand. Because there are so many small adjustments and settings present in Photoshop tasks of any complexity, a written description NEVER fully conveys what was really done. In fact, there is SO much "wiggle room" in most written descriptions of a set of steps in PS, if the OP doesn't obtain the results promised by a responder (ie, the usual situation), the responder can always claim that the OP just wasn't skilled enough to follow his description. To me, this is a huge cop-out and a little more than an ego trip on the part of the responder.

d) If the OP requests a copy of your PSD file, there are almost no reasons I can think of (other than lack of time or interest) that would cause me to deny such a request. I have done it many times, and will continue to do so. Giving away your PS file simply can not impact my livelihood in any substantial way. If I am worried about the OP then taking credit for the resulting image (ie, instead of using the PSD file to learn from), just down rez it before sending it to the OP.

This being said, of course everyone has their own POV about responding to requests for post processing help, but I will continue to try to help people, and do so in an unrestricted, whole-hearted, transparent way.

Tom M

Back