What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st attempt at photo manipulation

SPWA

Power User
This is my 1st attempt at a photo manipulation. I can see some errors, or maybe areas where I should have been more precise (*cough* masking...) but I was pleased with myself :)

If I was to try again I'd start by using a better quality photo. This was taken in my Study with an iPad, in bad light. Sorry I had to shrink it a lot to upload, as I didn't want the pic to big enough to wallpaper a room, which the original seems to be.
Before After.png

I struggled with the masking. I don't even know if I did it the correct way, I kinda stumbled on it. If anyone can provide a link to a "easy to understand" tut, that would be very cool thx.

Pretty good for a first time.
If I were to have to name somethings that are an essential skill with Photoshop, masking would definitely be close to the top. There is not any "correct" way..the results are what count. There are several different methods with the Photoshop tools, magic wand, quick select, lasso, Quick Mask, pen tool, alpha channels etc. Suggest you go to YouTube and do a search on Photoshop masking and watch as many as possible. Some of us use Photoshop plugins such as Topaz ReMask and you may want to consider that down the road. Good PS ing.

Edit: By the way, the image you have there is an example of one type that is particularly difficult to mask. Lack of contrast, a dark subject against a dark background, hair that you want to preserve..etc. Pretty challenging for many.

Last edited:

Back