What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing a grayish day photo

yaro

Can someone suggest what can be done to a photo that was taken in a partly cloudy day with the sun covered or against the sun so it looks more lively?
yaro

Hoogle

Guru
adjust the levels and vibrance or replace the sky but if you do that make sure you you balance it out with the rest of the pic why not post the pic for more detailed advice

Juanito Jov

As Hoogle says Sky replacement is fun to use especially when you blend it well with the proper light direction...

yaro

I'll try that but I've got the feeling that the buildings will look not quite right. They'll miss that brightness pop and contrast with shadows that just aren't there. I don't have access to anything now but I'll post some pictures later on.
yaro

You could always cut the sky out and adjust it on another layer. The building looks pretty well defined on its edges so that shouldn't be a problem if you wanted

Hoogle

Guru
thats easy enough to do adjust exposure put a yellow or warming filter over the top cant show you as saving image has been disabled

yaro

The album is set to be public so I don't understand why doesn't give an option to download. If you use Firefox click on a picture and then right-click somewhere outside and select View Page Info > Media > Image and click Save As. If not tomorrow I'll figure out what's going on and fix it. Sorry for the trouble

Hoogle

Guru
View attachment 4814
ok slightly overdone but just to show you its possible
took image
image adjustment >vibrance all the way up
also the saturation quite a fair bit up
image > adjustment exposure slight increase
new layer painted yellow over the sky and but blending mode to saturate lowered opacity so yellow was gone and blue sky came back
image >adjustment > hue saturation tweaked it a bit all done no need to replace sky if you ask me

yaro

Didn't know you can just insert a picture in this forum. DOH!
I really like where that picture is going. I never used blending on buildings but seems to be doing a great job. I'll try colour dodge and Linear light when I have a chance to see how that works. Many thanks for your help
yaro

yaro

Mallorca_269a.gif
Here is what I came up with. Some linear light, painting in yellow and blending (thanks for that), some shadow and highlights and contrast correction. It's still missing something. Isn't that slightly overdone?... It is but it's my first attempt.
yaro

Hoogle

Guru
Can someone suggest what can be done to a photo that was taken in a partly cloudy day with the sun covered or against the sun so it looks more lively?
yaro
you have kept the grey sky in I just went through very quickly adjusted quite a few colour over lays and then went to Image> adjustments >HDR toning to really play around with it after I realised the image was a gif that is and had to convert to RGB lol
View attachment 4859

Hoogle

Guru
will look a hell of a lot better with the original file this was done fro a highly compressed gif play around with the HDR toning etc you should achieve most of what you want in there

yaro

I thought you get to HDR toning via File>Automate but you need more than one file for that unless it's somewhere else. I use CS4. Anyway, it looks great on that lowres gif.
yaro

Hoogle

Guru
mmmm not sure about cs4 I was not adventourous in those days lol I think it may only be cs5 where it has HDR function it takes 1 image and replifies the effect of several images really is quite good