What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to create a 'grid look' photo collage..Having sizing problems!

Cleo

Hey All!
Hope you guys are well x
I'm trying to create an album design that has a grid effect with all the images I have.
But I can't figure out how to put specific dimensions on each layer..I've tried the image size option but its not working - do I need to free transform and try to figure it out dimensions free handed?? Surely not?

If you can imagine U2s Achtung Baby (Or at a long shot: Exile On Main Street) That is where I'm headed (or TRYING to head rather) with it

Many thanks for any help in advance

Cleo x

NB. This is a college project ONLY.

Paul

Former Member
G'day mate welcome aboard - image for reference purposesu2-achtung-baby.jpg

SeniorS

Guru
For that purpose i would suggest use little mathematic.
Let say you want final image contains that grid and it's square. So width=height=X, count of images per one line Y.
Make new document with width=height=X/Y.
Copy/paste one piece of needed to be small image in it. Now go for transformation. Usually CTRL+T. Hold SHIFT and drag one corner around so it fits image without background visible. Press ENTER.
Now you can copy/paste (before that better select all canvas CTRL+A) that transformed piece to your grid project file.
Repeat as needed.

That is PS way. Smarter way is use Indesing. But that is different story.

SeniorS

Guru
Today (for me) is day of shaving cats with diferent ways :)

Better algoritm would be use Crop tool advanced options. Meaning you can set crop dimension (don't forget about resolutin, if for print then set to 300dpi, for screen it's 72) width and height to that X/Y.
Now you can select what you want to see from that image to be in grid and crop it. Size of image will change automaticly.
All other the same, copy/paste and repeat as needed,

SeniorS

Guru
Yep :)

You know, they say, you can shave cat in many ways.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

P.S. This is second one today.

SeniorS

Guru
Oh yeah, i believe you, i'm kinda ask for it :) :) :)

I'm glad you don't have PS right now.

SeniorS

Guru
"More than 1 way to Skin a Cat" is the saying which doesn't make any more sense if you think about it.
LoL...how i missed this comment (i was reading all but somehow my subconscious don't want to notice it).

And after translation for word "skinning" i know why.
I'm vegetarian and that's CRUEL!!!

Animals are my frends and i don't skin my frends (rephrasing George Bernard Shaw).

P.S. Yeah, yeah, i'll say it myself. Yes, i'm shaving them instead sometimes :D

P.P.S. I think we should stop it or...

P.P.P.S. Man, my skulls hurt literally from laughing and smiling.

Last edited:

Vafann

Guru
LoL...how i missed this comment (i was reading all but somehow my subconscious don't want to notice it).

And after translation for word "skinning" i know why.
I'm vegetarian and that's CRUEL!!!

Animals are my frends and i don't skin my frends (rephrasing George Bernard Shaw).

P.S. Yeah, yeah, i'll say it myself. Yes, i'm shaving them instead sometimes :D

P.P.S. I think we should stop it or...

P.P.P.S. Man, my skulls hurt literally from laughing and smiling.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: