What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recover a lost Photoshop shortcut (resizing brush size)

zClotaire

Hello everybody !

I am new on this forum and this is my first post. You should excuse me if my english speaking is not perfect, i am naturally a french speaker. :rolleyes:

So, to come back to my question, i need you to help me with a shortcut that i can not use since two days.
To redim the brush size it is possible to use the shortcut ALT + right click. This is very useful when doing painting or drawing on Photoshop.

The problem is that i no longer have the possibility to use this shortcut, and i do not know why. My keyboard is correctly set up and i even reset Photoshop, but still nothing.

Have you ever encounter this problem ? Do you know how i can recover this precious shortcut ?
Tank you for your help ! :)

Hello! You can find the Decrease and Increase Brush Size options under Edit / Keyboard Shortcuts,
change “Shortcuts For:” to "Tools", then scroll down close to the bottom where it says increase brush size and decrease brush size. There should be a "[" to increase, and a "]" to decrease. Though if you if you click on each one, if you have changed any by accident, it will give you the option to "use default".

If this does not sort the issue out, it may have something to do with your hardware acceleration settings.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer, but i already knew the keyboard shortcuts that you show me. I really want to have the possibylity do it automatically with the mouse.
Two days ago when I formatted my computer and reinstalled Photoshop CS5, everything worked perfectly, but after turning on the computer the next day it stopped working.
My graphics card is up to date and activated as you can see on this screenshot:

carte.png

Then the only other thing I can suggest:-

If Photoshop is already open on your screen, close out of it. Then hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Win) / Shift+Command+Option (Macmag-glass_10x10.gif) on your keyboard and start Photoshop back up. The very first thing you'll see is a dialog box that pops up asking if you want to delete the existing Preferences file.

Click yes.

Restart Photoshop.

If this doesn't work, I'm stumped.

When Caps Look is off or on, it not work.
Now i think that the solution of my problem don't exist... i will try to uninstall/réinstall.

Thanks a lot for your help !

wilkl the square pracket keys not do what you are requesting or have i just mis read this totally

You read it wrong!

The "alt+ right mouse button" doesn't work.

It might work again by now, if it is re-installed.

Yes I did
well the things I would suggest is A) check your ALT key is working maybe try the other alt key at other side of space bar seems strange but some keys do fail.
option 2 I know you have reset your preference file but how about going to edit > preferences > general hold down the alt key and the cancel button should change to reset

Also check that under edit > preferences cursor that you have not changed the colour to white in the preview or whatever your background colour is if that makes sense.

Failing all those steps I would agree with a clean install because if that is faulty then I am sure there are other errors.

Don't know if this was the issue here, but I ran into this issue on Windows and found that some of my shorcut keys were not working because I was in Chinese typing mode. I sometimes type Asian characters and you can toggle Languages that you have installed in Windows by pushing shift+alt. Once I realized and switched out, all was good again. Just thought I'd share.

Hello !
I have found a solution to this problem !
In fact, this option work only if Photoshop is laucnh with admitrator right ! So when i simply laucnh Photoshop the resizing brush size using mouse don't work.
I someone have the same problem... :)

This might have something to do with your keyboard language, because you use both french and english, the keys are not always the same. So switch your keyboard back to the one where the shortcut works and it should be fine. Hope this helps

This might have something to do with your keyboard language, because you use both french and english, the keys are not always the same. So switch your keyboard back to the one where the shortcut works and it should be fine. Hope this helps

But it was a year ago!

This is like talking in the fog with a mate you can't see:rofl:

I hope you tried restarting your computer before re-installing everything. That usually fixes my wonky computer issues with programs.

Back