Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clipping Mask problem

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to convert/copy a clipping mask to a layer mask.

The reason is, that I have a textured layer, and a highlight layer. By selecting the highlight layer and creating a clipping mask, I get the effect I want.

But... I want to save the highlight layer on its own (as a PNG), in it's clipping mask state, but without the background textured layer.

If I copy the highlight layer and paste it into a new document, it looses the clipping mask. Same if I hide the texture layer.

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: Clipping Mask problem

select the 2 layers and highlight them so in this case your clipping mask and the layer it is clipped to and press control and E to merge them together you will have the same effect but both in 1 layer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Hoogleman

Thanks for your reply. :-)

However, I don't want both layers... I just want the clipped layer (highlight) on its own. I want to export just that layer with its clipping intact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

But you will not be exporting 2 layers only 1 you have applied the clipping mask and merged it so those 2 layers merged to 1 but you still have the same effect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure, but I want only the highlight (with clipping)... no texture (layer providing the clipping).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

ok copy that layer erase bits you dont want so just the highlights are still there with the clipping mask then merge it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

You can upload the psd for someone to get a look at it if you still have this problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I am off to bed now though so if it is not sorted by the time I log back in I will have a look at the psd just highlight your layers in a colour so we can identify them right click the eye and choose a colour if you did not know how.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

record.psd

I have attached a PSD to this post (above).

You can see the two layers "record" (red), and "record highlights" (yellow).

The yellow layer is clipped on the red layer. I want to copy and export *just* the yellow layer, while preserving the clipping from the red layer. I do not want the red layer at all.

So I should end up with a file that is just the highlight, but with the Clipping Mask intact, or somehow permanently added to the highlight.

You can see the difference this makes if you remove the Clipping Mask from the yellow layer... it's quite an improvement to keep the Clipping Mask, so I really need to preserve the clipping.

Thanks for helping me out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Ok so if I have this right release your clipping mask control and click the record layer preview panel that will make a selection around your record disc. then select the highlights layer and press the mask button that will have the same effect as the clipping mask as it will mask out everything else in the layer. then you can right click the layer maski and select apply layer mask if you want it pernament. here is your psd back with all layers switched off and your highlights are there still.
    record.psd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast