What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Settings For Unsharp Mask

Aaron Sorkin

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on what Unsharp Mask settings I should use? Percent, Threshold and Radius? I use settings of 75% on images taken with my digital camera, but what about Theshold and Radius? Where do they come in?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron.

I don't know if there is a setting per se. It would seem to me that it would depend on the photo and what you're trying to acheive. Trial and error I suppose. I would start at default and go from there.

Hi Aaron and welcome to the forums.

In the Unsharp Mask filter dialog, the Radius setting determines the thickness of the sharpened edge. Low values produce crisp edges. Higher values produce thicker edges with more contrast throughout the image.

The Threshold setting is entered between 0 and 255. They are brightness values and determine how PS recognizes the edges in an image. As you raise the Threshold setting fewer pixels are sharpened because PS ignores adjacent pixels of closer brightness. At 0 everything is sharpened.

Because file size and input source are such determining factors in sharpening, there is no perfect setting. Experimentation is in order. One strategy which may be helpful is to consider using a lower percentage value and running the filter multiple times. You can, in that manner, observe the point at which the effect is becoming detrimental to your image and back up a history state or two.

I noticed in the masking thread you mentioned that you were willing to look at plugins to assess them for utility. I might suggest that you look at Reindeer Graphic's Optipix 3, a series of image editing filters. I've found nothing better for sharpening than their Detail Sharpener and I've experimented with about a zillion techniques from edge masks and high pass/overlay blend modes to commercial plugins.

http://www.reindeergraphics.com/optipix/

Hi Aaron

Use this function everyday. I cover a vast range of subject matter from sport to portraits to VIP's

The best overall setting I've found are:

Unsharp.....80%
Radius.....2.5
Threshold.....4

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Mike

Hey Mike! Welcome to the forums.

What size of images do you typically apply those settings?

(I'll give them a try) ;)

Thanks Welles. Looks like a really good forum.

I now use the Nikon D2X, but Prior to that the D100 and D1x and these setting have been used with all the cameras. The file size has altered as the cameras progressed, but I shoot on Medium (fine) jpg.

Sorry don't have the cameras to hand for details but the current D2X at these setting gives a file size of approximately 18mb.

Was going to send you a sample but unsure how to embed an image into this reply. Can you advise?

Mike

Mike,

When you post a reply, just below the text box you'll see Additional Options... and the typical triangle. Click it down and you can specify notification etc and also attach files. The file limitations are 600px wide x 800px high and no more than 100K. You can post two per post. The 600 x 800 limitation was chosen so images fit on all screens without sideways scrolling.

Back