What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Request] Background replacement

dweeb

My classmates usually come to me when they need a touch-up on a photo, but I've only really done simple things like removing wrinkles, marks, etc. I was asked to do a background swap of a car photo and I figured it wouldn't be too hard, but I'm stuck and can't get it to work.

She wants the car to be in city or similar, the problem is the reflections on the hood and being able to see the grass behind the "main window" (sorry, I don't know the term!). Everything I've tried feels very crude!

Personally I don't know what kind of background is suitable, everything I've tried feels unnatural.
Maybe it would be better to have some sort of gradient background instead?

Any attempt is appreciated!

Attachments

• large_134033-2358259.jpg
    large_134033-2358259.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 5

Joe Smith

I changed the reflection and windshield, and added a city background (can be removed if you want)

Attachments

• car.png
    car.png
    663.9 KB · Views: 4

ibclare

Queen Bee
Nice selection you've made there Joe -- exact same photo as Photoshop Mayne's --but your car is just floating above the street and the scale is questionable. Needs a bit more transformation and a few shadows. :mrgreen:

dweeb

Wow guys, great job with the window and hood!

Joe, I really like the design of the second upload but I feel as if the background is a bit choppy, probably due to low resolution? Is there anyway to fix this? Also, how would it look if the car was still colored and only the background was black/white?

Dataflow, do you think you could do the same thing but with this image as the background? If possible, maybe make one with everything in color and another with the background in black/white and the car still in color?

Many thanks for your time, both of you!

Attachments

• wallpaper-1629879.jpg
    wallpaper-1629879.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

dweeb

Thanks, Paul! You posted as I was writing the other post - the shadow was a nice touch but you can still see the grass in the window.

Dataflow

Power User
did these in responds to PM so thought i would also post results here.
carcity-citybw.jpgcarcity-citycolor.jpgcarcity-fullbw.jpg

Last edited: