What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request Image effect

adhossain

Hi, I don't know is it the right place to request help.
BTW, I want to give an effect on my photo so that the photo becomes "black & white to color" from top-right to bottom-left corner of the image.
Thanks.

Tom Mann

Guru
Welcome! Yes, this is a great place to request help on PS technique.

The easiest way to achieve the effect you described is to add a "Desaturate" adjustment layer to the top of your layer stack, and then add a layer mask to it that goes from pure white in the upper RH corner to pure black in the lower LH corner.

I'll post an example in a minute.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
These attachments should show you how to do it:

1. The original image. Don't be overwhelmed by the high artistic aesthetic of this image ;-). We were donating a bunch of kid's clothing and I was pressed into service photographically documenting the give-aways. This was the first image I grabbed that had a line of colored objects that would readily demonstrate selective desaturation.

2. The layer stack. I happened to use a vibrance / saturation adjustment layer, but one could just as easily use a B&W adjustment layer, a hue/saturation adjustment layer, or just use the desaturate command on a copy of the original. Also, I filled my layer mask with a simple left-to-right gradient from black to white. It's entirely up to you what angle you use, or you may consider manually painting in black where you want the original to show and white where you want the desaturation effect to show.

3. The result.

Tom M

Attachments

• D7B_6502jpg-xnv_698px_wide_for_web_jpg-acr0-ps01a-01_orig.jpg
    D7B_6502jpg-xnv_698px_wide_for_web_jpg-acr0-ps01a-01_orig.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 32
  • layer_stack.jpg
    layer_stack.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 31
  • D7B_6502jpg-xnv_698px_wide_for_web_jpg-acr0-ps01a-02_half_desaturated.jpg
    D7B_6502jpg-xnv_698px_wide_for_web_jpg-acr0-ps01a-02_half_desaturated.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 32

adhossain

These attachments should show you how to do it:

1. The original image. Don't be overwhelmed by the high artistic aesthetic of this image ;-). We were donating a bunch of kid's clothing and I was pressed into service photographically documenting the give-aways. This was the first image I grabbed that had a line of colored objects that would readily demonstrate selective desaturation.

2. The layer stack. I happened to use a vibrance / saturation adjustment layer, but one could just as easily use a B&W adjustment layer, a hue/saturation adjustment layer, or just use the desaturate command on a copy of the original. Also, I filled my layer mask with a simple left-to-right gradient from black to white. It's entirely up to you what angle you use, or you may consider manually painting in black where you want the original to show and white where you want the desaturation effect to show.

3. The result.

Tom M

Thanks for ur effort but I'm the novice and unable to do as u told. What I did is, Layer> New Adjustment Layer> Vibrance. The New Layer window came. Here, the Mode: Normal, Color: None, Opacity: 100%. Then I pressed the Ok button and added Gradient(Black-White) but nothing happened. What did I miss? Thanks again.

Tom Mann

Guru
Dear Adhossain, did you adjust the vibrance and saturation sliders to their extreme left positions? If you didn't move the sliders this layer will have no effect.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Mike, LOL - That's hilarious! - Now I'm never going to get that song out of my mind whenever I run into that photo in the future.

However, I'll have you know those give-aways were absolutely sano. They might be wrinkled laying there on the basement sofa to get their picture taken ;-) , but we ran them through the washing machine on max power before we put them out for the charity pickup.

Cheers,

T

MikeMc

McGuru
It was really on the radio when I saw this post......:mrgreen:

ibclare

Queen Bee
Thanks. Finally I've done it :)

Congratulations! It always pleases me when our members can help. Thanks for coming here and stick around. I bet you'll have more questions. Not only that, but your advice to others, your opinions, your critiques, your participation, will all be helpful. Take a look at our challenges, this year and last and you'll get an idea how many of us learn new tips, tricks, and skills, and have a good time doing it.