What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with a tut

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A white fill in the cross?

edit: Please refresh your page often. I've been waiting 30 mins for a response. :rofl:

Now I have to leave for awhile, sorry.

Last edited:

pslane

Sorry, I am am an hour ahead of you, must have gone off to bed. 35bs860.gif

The instructions are to make the cross selection, add a layer mask, then fill with black. All I get is white. See tutorial link and attachment. ~Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok,

Try it in this order,

1. Add the layer mask, make sure the layer mask is selected (white brackets).

2 Then make the cross selection with the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

3. Then fill with black.

pslane

I did exactly that and it still fills with white. I get a white cross.
Thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can you take a quick screenshot of your layers panel? The layers that we're working with?

pslane

Here's one with the mask and one without. The closed eyes you see are just layers I made to keep on working on the tut and they are the next steps.
Thanks

Attachments

• ps3.jpg
    ps3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ps4.jpg
    ps4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 21

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try the step again after removing the effect layer style from the layer by grabbing the FX symbol and dragging it to the trash icon.

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 11.57.57 PM copy.png

pslane

When I removed the fx, the whole thing disappeared, so I made a new image, new ellipse and did the mask first this time. It worked just fine like that. So I have to add any effects after I do the marquee rectangles and fill them.

Thanks a lot. Solved!
pslane

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's great, glad you got it solved. I went through the whole tutorial up to the point where you had problems and I could not find where any layer styles were added. So I'm not sure where the layer style (stroke) found its way in there much less got propagated to newer layers, but I figured that must be the problem. Anyway, glad it's working now.

pslane

The problem was when I saw "stroke" I immediately thought of the stroke feature in the layer style window. When I did the 0 fill, that took it away completely so I went to the layer style to get my stroke back. I know that sounds confusing but at least I'm getting it done and it looks pretty good so far.

One more question while I'm here. When the tut asks for a circle or ellipse and they give you size in pxls, how do it measure it? I have my ruler set for pixels, but that doesn't help much.

Thanks,
pslane

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, with any of the selection tools you can adjust the size by setting the style to "Fixed Size" and then setting the Height and width.

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 8.50.48 PM.png

With the shape tools, there are two ways. You can create your shape, then go to the Tools option bar and enter the height and width of your choosing.

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 8.56.44 PM.png

Or you can just click once on the canvas and you will get this menu window....

Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 8.58.36 PM.png

Then enter the size you desire.

On all accounts, you can then use the Move Tool to position them all.

pslane

Okay I found that but it's not like yours. I am using CS3, that's probably why. With mine I have to click on the little drop down box beside the shape selection box. I am going to play with that a bit, since I've been just sizing by sight.

Thanks, again,
pslane

Attachments

• ps5.jpg
    ps5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7

pslane

I'm going to post the result of this tut in the gallery so check it out. Thanks.