What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smooth edges with Quick Mask mode

penelope

Hi!
Even though I LOVE using Photoshop, it's been a while since the last time I actually used it, therefore there are lot of things that I knew that I no longer remember (I'm getting old, clearly!) and I was wondering if anyone can refresh my memory here. :)
Unless I'm completely mistaken, I remember that in CS3 (though I just started using CS6) I always used Quick Mask Mode and Paths to smooth the edges of whatever abstract shape I drew, even if it was just something random that I obtained using the Polygonal Lasso selection tool to make the shape and then the Paint Bucket tool to fill it.
I no longer remember the correct steps though and when I tried, I got close but it wasn't the result I was looking for: the edges were still a bit jagged and it took me too much time (something like 13/15 steps) to get there while I remember it was quicker and easier. I searched a LOT for the very first tutorial that taught me this but it's been probably removed by now as it was quite old. All the other tutorials I found concerning Quick Mask Mode were for different purposes. I hope I made enough sense and, if anyone can help me, I'd be really grateful! :cheesygrin:

Hi penelope and welcome to PSG.

What I have found to be the most common problem here in these forums when dealing with these types of issues is, lack of common Photoshop terminology and understanding between both parties involved, the member asking for help and the member trying to offer guidence.

I there anyway you can post some images showing the desired effect of what your trying to accomplish?

Hi Sam,
thank you very much for you reply. I kept trying in Photoshop and, playing around, I finally achieved the result I was looking for! :)
I don't know whether I'm allowed to do it or not, but I'm going to sum it up in case others are searching for something similar.

At the beginning, my memory tricked me into thinking that I could draw something first with the Polygonal Lasso, fill it with the Paint Bucket, select it with the Magic Wand and then try to smooth the edges/corner/borders with Quick Mode Mask.

However, I had to actually use the Polygonal Lasso to make some sort of drawing (for example, a rough wave), then press Q to enable the Quick Mask Mode. Next step was to smooth the edges by adjusting the Radius value from Filters > Noise > Median. Finally, I could press Q again to disable the Quick Mask Mode and filling the resulting smooth selection with the color I chose.

I'm sure it's a very well known method but, for the life of me, I couldn't remember how I used to do it and it took me two days to realize what I was doing wrong. :banghead:
Below I included a little example of how the edges turned out to be smooth in the end. I hope I did the right thing including all the steps I followed.

smooth.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Penelope, CS6 has a a feature called Refine Edge/mask which allows you smooth the edges of selections/shapes.
It can be found in the Tools Option bar of any the Selection tools or under SELECT > REFINE EDGE/MASK whenever selections are active. Take a look at this feature. You may find it does the same if not a better job.

Good luck!

Suggest you work on learning the Pen tool. It will allow you to make the shapes you want and will have "smooth" built in, as they are vectors and not bitmap based. Just do a search and you will find lots of info.

Thanks Sam! I just found out the option you mentioned and will definitively take a look!
ALB68: you're absolutely right, but for some reason I always found the Pen Tool extremely difficult every time I tried to use it. I guess it just requires more practice than usual, because the results are amazing!

Thank you very much to both of you!

Thanks Sam! I just found out the option you mentioned and will definitively take a look!
ALB68: you're absolutely right, but for some reason I always found the Pen Tool extremely difficult every time I tried to use it. I guess it just requires more practice than usual, because the results are amazing!

Thank you very much to both of you!

You're not the only one to express difficulty with mastering the Pen tool. It does take a bit of getting used to its control properties.

Here's a few tutorials to help you on your way .....

http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorials/how-to-use-photoshops-pen-tool

http://psd.fanextra.com/tutorials/become-a-master-of-the-pen-tool-in-under-30-minutes/

And here's a Pen Tool Cheat Sheet in pdf ....:cheesygrin: http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/adobe-pen-tool-cheatsheet/

Penelope,
Don't feel bad. Everyone has some issues with different things. I personally had never been an Adobe Illustrator user. I used Corel Draw for vector work for many years. When I joined Adobe's Creative Cloud and suddenly had access to all of their software, I decided AI was first on my list. Well, I downloaded it and I was like a blind dog in a meat house. I stumbled around with it for a few weeks, watching tutorials etc. Then I found a very good software training site called Infinite Skills. I signed up and went through their AI training courses and came away pretty darn competent with it. Not affiliated with it in any way other than being a member, but I recommend it to anyone wanting to learn. He does Photoshop CC, and dozens of more programs. Andy,main trainer, is a college professor, and photographer so he also has courses included for digital photography. It's a membership deal where for $25 a month (you can cancel anytime, no contract etc) you have access to every course on there. The instruction is all videos and is presented in a very easy to understand manner.
I have just finished supplying several hundred custom laser cut acrylic jewelry pieces for a fund raiser. If I had to use Corel Draw to make them, I might have pulled my hair out, but AI made my life much easier. Thanks to Adobe and Infinite Skills.

Awww thank you guys, so many useful tutorials! :)
Illustrator... another dream of mine! That's a software I keep saying myself: "One day, sooner or later...", the same goes for Flash, I tried to do something with it for ages (when it was still Macromedia and not Adobe Flash :D). ALB68, thanks for sharing your experience, taking an actual course is definitively something I would consider. I'll check it out!

Back