What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipping

meamjw

Someone tell me if there is a way to flip a clone stamped object? I wish clone stamp had the same controls as the paint brush, but since it doesn't I'm wondering if there is a round about way. I thought I might paste the stamp on a separate layer and then find a way to flip that layer, but couldn't figure how to do that either.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you mean by flipping? Please describe what that means. Thanks.

hawkeye

Guru
You should most always clone to a blank layer, set the option on the clone tool to All Layers, then clone to a blank layer.

You can flip the clone layer if you wish, or set the option to flip horizontal/vertical as you clone in the Clone Source menu.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 37

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Hawk, great observation. I hope it's what the OP was referring to.

meamjw

Thanks a bunch Hawkeye. I figured the process would involve layer manipulation but didn't know and couldn't figure out the details.

I would mark your reply as the solution If I knew how. Don't see a button for that.

meamjw

Hey Hawkeye,
Your reply sounded good until I tried it. I guess I'm dumb but I still can't get it to work. Can you give me a step by step? I brought up the clone source dialog but can't get any flipping; can't find any buttons for flipping of layer or clone stamp. Can it be you aren't using CS5?

ibclare

Queen Bee
No such thing as a dumb question. Photoshop is a complex program. We've all been there, once or twice, lol.

Hawkeye is a technically expert member and I'm sure he'll be back to clear up the confusion.

hawkeye

Guru
I'm running CS6 but CS5 should be amost the same. It is not in the tool options, you need to open the Clone Source Menu and the option will be there as I posted in an earlier screenshot. But regardless, if you clone to a separate layer as you should be doing, you can simply flip the layer.

MikeMc

McGuru
Select all, edit, transform, your choice from there?

ibclare

Queen Bee
What I am not understanding is why, if you clone to a specific area, you would want to flip it. Wouldn't that make a jumble and put the clone way out of palce. Why don't you upload an image so we can understand better what you are trying to achieve . . .

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, I've occasionally used the horizontal flip mode of the stamp/clone tool to fill in some missing detail (say, blown highlights) that is available across a line of symmetry in the image.

T

MikeMc

McGuru
FWIW, I've occasionally used the horizontal flip mode of the stamp/clone tool to fill in some missing detail (say, blown highlights) that is available across a line of symmetry in the image.

T

My thought after viewing the fix my car thread

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, tho it's a bit of a toss-up whether you simply copy a good area to a new layer and then flip and reposition that layer or use this feature of the clone tool. If the area is small, I'm usually tempted to do it with the clone/stamp tool, but if it's large, I almost always use the copy-to-another-layer technique.

T

ibclare

Queen Bee

T

So all you really have to do is copy to new layer and flip the layer and transform angles, IMO. But, as usual, more than one way to do a task in Photoshop.

hawkeye

Guru
Honestly I can't think of a situation when I haven't used a separate layer for cloning, at least not in the recent past. On a separate layer you don't even need to be all that accurate, just use the move tool for repositioning, and of course a layer mask if you grab too much.

meamjw

ibclare,
I don't have a specific image I'm having a problem with right now but maybe I can explain it: Let's say I'm trying to grow hair on a bald spot on a head. Unless I can manipulate the orientation of the clone stamp the hair probably won't be laying the right direction when I stamp it in the new location.

hawkeye

Guru
ibclare,
I don't have a specific image I'm having a problem with right now but maybe I can explain it: Let's say I'm trying to grow hair on a bald spot on a head. Unless I can manipulate the orientation of the clone stamp the hair probably won't be laying the right direction when I stamp it in the new location.

Like I said before, open the Clone Source window.

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice video, Paul. Thanks.

FWIW, I often use the rotate feature of the clone brush to bring texture from one small area of the face (where, say, the wrinkles are running in one direction) to another area of the face where the wrinkles and pores are running in a different direction.

As I mentioned above, if the area involved is anything larger than "tiny" (LOL), I almost always switch to the approach where I clone onto a separate layer and then rotate the entire layer, as needed.

T