What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't I get colour?

MrCat

Hi folks,

I've grabbed a free graphic online I want to use on my site, I've made it RGB under 'image -> mode' but when I go 'image -> adjustments -> hugh/saturation' OR '... color ballance' neither has any effect? What am I missing?

My image is at present light grey and I want to give it a blue shade whilst retaining all the darker and lighter gradient effects of the original image if you catch my drift, but nothing works, it just stays grey and it's really bugging me now.

Thanks in advance. Especially as I'm sure it's something obvious. Let me know if you need more info!

Cheers.

Hey MrCat,

You say light grey, has the image been desaturated?

You could just add a color fill layer or use the "colorize" option of the Hue & Sat adjustment layer.

Hey thanks, yea I tried colourize, everything I could think of, but still it's just grey....as said I downloaded the original image from a free image site, or may have just right clicked and 'save image'... I'm a bit lost as to why I can't get any color in the obvious ways tho.

Well, since you've already stated that you changed the color mode to RGB, the only thing I can do is see the image. You could upload the image or provide a link to where you downloaded it.

I forgot about that Hoogle. Great idea.

the colour options will only work via adjustment layers but wont work on actual edits to the layer if it is locked, the only logical thinking I have on this subject.

Other thought is its grey, could be as simple as no color to change.

Add a color fill layer in your choice of color, set to 50% opacity, make sure its above your grey image...now you can play with opacity and your layer blending modes

This is a quick example....top is original Grey Landscape, second is a orange layer set to 31% opacity, blending mode is set to Darker Color....See the color, without the blend I had just a light orange everywhere

Grey-landscape.jpg

Grey-landscapeDarkerOrange31.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, got busy and couldn't explain the color fill.

Why are you not starting a new document as rgb, at the correct size and ppi, then dragging the image file onto the canvas?

Back