What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merging Layer Styles not working as expected

Musoguy

Hi folks, newbie to the board. I'm using Photoshop CS6 and have hit an issue that I can't get to the bottom of and was hoping someone could help.

I've completed an image for a client. The original involves many layers, and I have got to the point when I want to merge everything down into a PDF for them to send to their printers.

Problem I am having is that when I try to directly save as a PDF or merge down the layers in a copy of my main PSD file, I am losing certain layer styles.

I have tried creating a blank layer below an offending layer and hitting CTRL + E, I have tried creating a blank layer, hiding all but the offending layer and blank layer and merging visible, I have tried Layer - Rasterize Layer Style, I have tried turning the layer into a smart object and then rasterizing (I lost the layer style as soon as I turned it into a smart object, even though it is still present in the smart object itself), and I have tried turning the layer into a group and merging the group. I have also tried saving the file in a number of different formats to no avail. I don't know what else I can try and why none of this has worked! I've also tried right clicking on the FX in the layer palette and chosen "Create Layers" at which point I get a dialog: "Some aspects of the effects cannot be reproduced with layers", and I get the same result. Most noticeable style that disappears is the drop shadow.

Weird thing is this isn't the case for every layer. I've particularly noticed it happens on text layers that have been text warped. However I've tried rasterizing them before trying to merge and that hasn't helped so I can't see how that is the problem.

I hope someone can help, I am totally stumped. If it makes a difference the mode is CMYK Color, 8 bit.

James

Have you tried merging all visible layers? (opt/alt + com/cntrl +E)

Thanks for the reply. I have. First thing I did actually. Didn't help. It's just really odd! I think I am going to try to open the file in CS5 and see if it is a strange CS6 thing that is causing it.

I know this may not work, but turn off "use global light" on the offending drop shadow and see if that works.

Unfortunately as you suspected, it didn't work. Was nice to try something new though! I'd post the file but it's size is almost 1gig. I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply though :)

Instead of flattening the file, just do a merge visible. Then copy and paste the merged layer into new document..

Thanks for the response hawkeye. I've tried that, by selecting all the layers and merging through the right click menu popup, and by hitting CTRL + SHIFT + ALT + E. The merged layer has the same issues. Again, not with the styles on all layers but just on certain ones. The offending layers originally were either warped text layers or shape layers, but I've tried rasterizing the layers and still have the same issue.

I think I just figured it out! Thanks for the reply ibclare, it was actually while resetting the preferences that I randomly came across it.

The file is large. It's a theatre marquee poster that is 31" x 40" at 200 DPI. I was being shown a false impression of what some of the layer styles looked like when I was zoomed out so I could see the whole poster to 12.5%. When I just zoomed in to 100%, the layer styles look exactly how they do zoomed out on the merged version.

Guessing this might have more to do with my video card than Photoshop maybe. Although it isn't a bad video card, and the computer I'm using has 24GB or RAM in it (not that that would make a difference apart from the speed I'm guessing).

So not totally sure why this is happening and certain layer styles look different zoomed out, but that's what is happening. And therefore the merge visible is actually working correctly and showing what the layer styles should look like in the original.

Strange, but I'm glad I figured it out. Has anyone else come across this before? It's a bit of an issue for me as I deal with this size a lot, along with bigger sizes for banners?

Thank you all for your help :)

James

Upon looking a little deeper into this, it seems to come down to how Photoshop renders layer styles when the zoom is less than 100%, and how it's engine decides on what pixels can be lost. It's just strange I have never come across this before. Although this is also the first time I have dealt with an image of this size in CS6, so I'm wondering if something has been changed in the rendering engine. Hmmm?!

Thanks ibclare. Me too! Although I wish I'd figured it out earlier before I constructed the poster at a 12.5% zoom! You live and learn!

On the plus side, because of it I found this forum, and hope to become an active member of it from now on :)

On the plus side, because of it I found this forum, and hope to become an active member of it from now on.....

I'll take that!

Glad you figured it out. That was something I can honestly say I've never encountered. Good information to know.

Back