What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Editing Text in Layer Pallet?

NorthernBuck

I used a psd template a while back that allowed me to change the text on the photo by changing it in the layers pallet as opposed to changing it on the actual photo itself. How do I change a text layer to make it editable in the layers pallet?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there...

I suppose you've rasterized the text in the layer in the template document .... converted to a bitmap from its editable form. You have to create a new text layer separate from the background image.

1 - select the text tool. Click on the document where you roughly want the text to be and type / format your text. That's all it is.

2 - If you want to change or edit the text, click on the text layer to make it active and use the text tool to hilite and edit the text layer's contents.

3 - with the pointer tool, click and drag the text to move it around or transform it as you see fit.

Text-Template-Ani.gif

Don't rasterize this text layer if you plan to do edits in the future. Just save the document as a .PSD for later. After which you save a flattened JPG copy.

NorthernBuck

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. Unfortunetly, I'm not sure I was very clear on exactly what I was asking. I do know how to add text to a photo. What I would like to be able to do is change a predestinated text area (as well as color) in the layer pallet on the right. For instance, lets say I have a template for class photos where I drop a persons photo into a box and beneath that box I have their name. Lets say I want to change each kids name over and over as I do many photos and I don't want to click on the text layer on the photo but want to change it on the layer pallet. I am working an event this weekend where I will need to add names to approximately 70 different photos with anywhere from 8-10 people in each photo so I could be typing 600-700 different names. I will need to change these names as quickly as possible and will often times need to change the color as well. I just need to figure out the most efficient way of doing so.

hawkeye

Guru
If you double click the text layer (the large T), it will select all the type on that layer. Then just start typing and it will replace the old text.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
As I pointed out in step 2 and expounded by hawkeye, you can use the tool to hilight/select parts of the content OR select all the contents on the layer by double clicking the text layer.

To change the color, Select the text tool, double click the text layer icon to select the contents , click the color sample box in the menu and select the color you need to apply in the text .