Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Christmas Card Design

Hi everyone.

A Christmas card design I've done in Photoshop... I've been told the top and bottom of the design looks like an eye and doesn't fit the design.. what do guys think...

-christmas_bg_1-jpg

I've left the area at the bottom ready for some text, and the area to the top right over the arch curves for some smaller text. I was also wondering if i should put the Xmas balls and stars at the bottom and leave the area at the top for the larger text ?.

2. Likes sprucemagoo1, Jessicayla, Inkz, vanspitael liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Christmas Card Design

This is a really nice design for a Christmas card...

And no, I don't think the waves look like an eye at all.

Good work inkpad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It did remind me of having the eye of Cleopatra but that's no reason to fault your work. In taking a little stab here, the graphics are very sharp in that they made me think this was done in a vector program like Illustrator. So did Illustrator have anything to do with this image?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's wrong with an eye anyway?

6. Likes Paul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Eye can't see anything wrong with an I

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hi there ChrisHPZ.

It did remind me of having the eye of Cleopatra but that's no reason to fault your work. In taking a little stab here, the graphics are very sharp in that they made me think this was done in a vector program like Illustrator. So did Illustrator have anything to do with this image?

No.. all graphics and shapes etc were done in Photoshop using Photoshop's vector capabilities .. No Illustrator. Some areas of shading shadows etc were hand drawn with a soft brush and other areas were shapes that were rastarized then blurred.

One of the main reasons for sharpness ( i think ) is because i did the work at a high resolution at a large scale, then scaled it back down to the size i wanted...Not so sure if that the right way or wrong way to do it but that's what i did.

To Inkz.. Thank you very much....

9. Thanks Inkz clicked thanks for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh ok, my second guess was going to be by use of a ton a vector masks as this method is used a lot when working with selections. Either way it's still good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I like it inkpad. Very nice and I agree with all the comments about the "eye." I would suggest increasing the blue space at the bottom so that their is more balance to it and more room for text as a byproduct of that.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, patience, & play!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you ibclare...

I was thinking of taking the text from the bottom left and curving it over the bottom curves reducing it in size as it went.. Not so sure that's a good idea as people might not be able to read it.. Do you think i should make the curves at the bottom horizontal for the text ?...

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not really a question of should or should not. Do it anyway and see what happens. Inkpad if there's one thing I've learned about altering graphics it's that when you do this, often it generates new ideas for graphics you do down the road. As far as readability goes, it is subjective to the person who looks at a graphic. Transform your text, and twist it around and see what happens. You'd be surprised at the new ideas you get. The point here is to experiment. One thing you can do to make whatever text you want to insert readable is to give it some element of contrast. Your image is primarily blue, so white text with maybe a drop shadow, beveled edge or if you really want to get some attention, put a glow around it, haha!! I get ripped on for using outer glows and some of the comments I've read are hilarious. I think that's why I use them.