What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Showcase

Bane

Got a lot of work so I'll just make this a showcase type deal. :)

tumblr_n27g8i9xFk1tvrg82o1_1280.pngtumblr_n27g8i9xFk1tvrg82o3_1280.pngtumblr_n27g8i9xFk1tvrg82o2_400.pngtumblr_n27g7sIZIO1tvrg82o1_500.pngtumblr_n27g7sIZIO1tvrg82o3_400.pngtumblr_n27g7sIZIO1tvrg82o6_250.pngtumblr_n27g7sIZIO1tvrg82o8_250.pngtumblr_n27g6gX5eT1tvrg82o2_250.png29w1v1e.pngronda2.png

Very nice Bane... I'm interested in how you got the look on the last image of the woman boxer ?.

Thanks brother.

I used a stock image, then used the warp transform tool to warp her main body shape into the position I was looking for. For her hands and head, I duplicated them from the original image and then made the entire image smaller. Pasted the hands and head into the image. So the whole image is small, but the hands and head are the size of the original image which was much larger. Then just move them into place and transform them to fit correctly.

After u get all that into place and have the manipulation looking correctly, then just smudge smudge smudge the skin until it's all smooth like. The highlights and shadows (What REALLY makes it pop, imo) was done using a dodge and burn method. Didn't use the actual dodge and burn tools, though. That method is very destructive and if you need to change something, you can't. Always do your dodging and burning and effects on separate layers. :p Hopefully I explained this well enough so that you understand lol.

Thanks, Chris!!!

Thanks for info Bane.

You can dodge and burn without it being destructive, create 2 layers and fill them both with 50% Gray, set the blend mode to either overlay or soft light, this all depends on the image your working on as what blending mode you use , rename one dodge and the other burn, then away you go.

Unless you were looking for something different in the copy and pasting you did on the head and hands etc. Have you tried using the bloat tool ( thinks that's what you call it ? ). Using the settings you can bloat an area, holding the - button you can shrink an area. Might be worth giving it a go on your next work.

I will have to get use to using that smudge tool , I really like that effect and could use it on some works I am doing at the moment, The only problem is when they come to get me ( I'm a loony by the way ) I rush it and make it look like a melted ice cream.

These look great Jay! Thanks for sharing! Love the MG gallery on Deviant! I see now where you get your forum name Bane, still wondering about the Patty Mayo avatar! Keep up the great work!

For Dodge and burn, I use two levels adjustment layers, one light and one dark. Reverse their masks and use the Brush Tool to reveal the shading and highlights. For me, this is the only way to maintain the native colors of the original.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback ! I use grey colors and use divide and linear light for my dodge & burn. How did u find my da gallery sam? Lol

Just gray colors. Don't need a 50% gray layer to put tmem on. Use a more brighter gray for divide, and darker gray for your linear light. Divide will be ur dodge and linear light will be your burn.

2uyq8o6.png

A dodge and burn effect I did using a single brightness/contrast adjustment layer and a layer mask. There's so. Many ways to d&b lol

Nice work. Prolific!

I think inkpad's suggestion is to keep a layer non-destructive in case you wish to make changes in how much or where you put the dodge and burn effects.

Also, besides the warp transform, you could have used the liquify filter for the tucked and transformed lady.

Yeah that's what I do. I never dodge and burn on the layer itself. Been doing it with masks and seperated layers for about 3 years :p

i don't find the liquids tool to be as useful as some do. It really distorts the image sometimes and creates unwanted artifacts in the image :p

IamSam... it just go's to show how much more I have to lean... I check on your way of dodging and burning using a levels adjustment layers and what a surprise I found. It just go's to show that you only now what you do until some one shows you another way.

I am on the works lap top at moment and can't post where I saw the tutorial.. but it show me why and when to use this method and when and why to to use the method I have been using with the 50% fill layers.. I never new of the 2 methods both you and Bane have been using until now.. I always wondered why sometimes i got dis colourment on some areas using the method I was doing.. but now I know..

Thank you both for posting your methods it can only improve the way i do things, thank you.

The image of the female boxer is really great. It looks like a hand-painted caricature. I will definitely have to incorporate some of these techniques into my caricatures and see how they come out.

Thanks for all the love! I've got more work, I've just got it scattered all over the net lol. I'm very unorganized on my PC :p.

@Moeller. Definitely give it a try bro! I may do a tutorial at some point. I hate how people have all this knowledge and don't want to share it. I'm fine with sharing any tips or advice or knowledge I have. Most of the people who have that knowledge was taught by someone else anyway :p. GOOD LUCK BROTHER!

Back