+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Looking for a good Parchment Tutorial and Scroll Tutorial

Hello Everyone

I am wondering if someone could point me to a good Tutorial for making Parchment Paper and also a Tutorial for making a Scroll.

Thank You

Graeme

Power User
    Thanks

I haven't done one for years, but I know there is a good parchment tutorial out there. Try www.dogpile.com with the keywords "Photoshop parchment tutorial" and you'll find it fast enough.

You'll probably do just as well with the keywords "Photoshop Scroll tutorial," and you won't have to wait for someone to find the link for you and post it.

Good luck!

Thanks

Hi, thanks I did what you suggeted but didnt have any luck finding one.

grandad

Thanks

HI Graeme and welcome to PSG!

You are probably going to need to use a combination of the pen tool to make paths for the shape of your scroll/parchment, some use of the gradient tool,(reflected gradient option)for basic depth and then the addition of effects that add some texture and aging to the whole thing.

Its kinda of late here for me, but if I get time tomorrow I will try and make an example for you.

What type of perspective are you thinking of for your scroll/parchemnt? Plan view, straight down, or more orthagonal, 3D type of thing.. that makes a big difference....

:}

Thanks

Thanks for replying,
    I am thinking of making it look 3d ish, its hard to say as I havent really seen anything I would like to emulate. It would need to be straight on look to a degree as its for the title cover of the wifes book, she has finaly (after 9years) completed her Family Tree and I would like to do the cover for her.

I was hoping for a few Tutorials to look at so I could get an idea of what I wanted and how to go about it.

Just for the record I am not very clued up on PS as yet and consider myself a Veritable Newbie, but I wont let that stop me I am using version 7

Graeme

Thanks

Heres a website that has some good general tuts for PS effects,

http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm

it might give you some ideas, though there is no scroll tut, there are some good page curls, torn paper tuts...

have a look and maybe it helps, bbl

Guru
    Thanks

Hi DAVE (VP) - Nice to see again

Thank you for the nice link. I was really impressed with Janee's Linked Letters tut wow super stuff http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/link/linktut.htm

Graeme - Seems I remember there were some parchment challenges here on PSG did you try search? smth could turn up.

Thanks

Thanks for the link, I had a look but nothing really that I wanted, although there are some there that may come in handy in order to add to it, like the page curl or the torn paper effect.

Graeme

Power User
    Thanks

Graeme, you will not find an all-in-one, inclusive tutorial. You will have to do some tweaking regardless of what you find.

You've posted this search on a couple of boards, but have not mentioned one tutorial that you have found and discarded in your search. I went searching late last night, and DID find the parchment tutorial I told you about, and the scroll part will not be too difficult, but it will take a bit of hand painting to clean up edges.

My PC with my Wacom is still down, and I detest trying to draw with a mouse, it makes my art look even worse than it does when my lines are straight... , but if you want help, you will need to be more helpable.

First, do you have any rough idea of how this scroll you are imagining will appear on the paper? The finished size? Have you done any rough sketches? Do you have any pictures that even vaguely look like what you are trying to do?

It won't matter how many Forums you post on, you will not find a comprehensive tut, and even if you did, it probably doesn't fit your needs.

How does the following "horrid" rough fit what you are looking for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MsOz
    but if you want help, you will need to be more helpable.

First, do you have any rough idea of how this scroll you are imagining will appear on the paper? The finished size? Have you done any rough sketches? Do you have any pictures that even vaguely look like what you are trying to do?

It won't matter how many Forums you post on, you will not find a comprehensive tut, and even if you did, it probably doesn't fit your needs.

How does the following "horrid" rough fit what you are looking for?
    Hi, well you make it sound like posting on another Forum is a bad thing?

I have already stated in an earlier post what I was sort of after and that I dont really know unitil I see a few in order to get an idea of what I actually want. That was after all why I asked if anyone could point me to some Tutorials.

I thought there would be plenty of Parchment Tutorials on the net but after looking around and not having any luck I decided to post this request in the hope that others new of some sites that had them. I didnt realise I had to stipulate any that I didnt like and had discarded.

Havent you ever experienced a time when you know what you want to achieve in your mind but cant really explain what it is until you have seen somthing similar?

I am sorry I posted asking for a tutorial I guess I need to be more exact in what I want in future.

Graeme