Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

"Everyday Armageddon" -- this is fairly long, but I hope for your input

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject. I apologize for the length of it and I will try to slash & burn as I go. We'll see.

I have been wondering about the surge of interest in zombies, destruction of world order, survival of the fittest, and rending apart of human flesh & dignity. Ok . . .

Once upon a time, The Night of the Living Dead was a cult film enjoyed by the young, angsty, sci fi fan, and horror buff. You watched, talked, left it behind. Not so today.

PSGer's make up a fair cross-section of the Western World but also represent world population at large, if not as greatly so. From my POV, we are enveloped in cynicism, anger, and insecurity; a loss of freedom and safety. Here are some of the factors I recognize:
    • World Economy. Post WWII we expected to prosper: healthcare, education, housing, adequate food, water, and employment. Not to mention the time for leisure.
    • Betrayal by Our Leaders who support corporate greed and thievery. Corporations who look solely at the bottom line, somehow ignoring the bloodbath and poverty this creates. Amazing, preposterous, horrifying.
    • Reactionary Religious and Racial trends often leading to National and International Terrorism. The blind refusal of either side to negotiate, resorting instead to violence.
    • The Rise to Power of countries seen as godless, who steal and enslave, has enraged the spiritually devoted creating fanaticism.
    • The High Speed Flow of Information, international chatting & blogging, etc., all the uses of the internet cannot be ignored.
    • In movies, in Photoshop, in gaming, in our advanced computer software, Virtual Reality allows us to create fantasies like no other time period has ever known. We add the silicon of our computing to our vision of humans, cyborg creations. We put our personal nightmares into visual media and make our hidden monsters come alive.

The concept of Armageddon as personal outlook is not so difficult to grasp. Newsweek Magazine ran an article in the wake of Hurricane Sandy (USA East Coast recently) by David Cay Johnston, Everyday Armageddon. He addresses our lack of preparedness for disaster and the perpetrators of such. If we don't look at it, it doesn't exist.

Excuse my ponderous postulations. If you have gotten this far, I hope you'll add your thoughts to this thread. I really want to learn about this.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, patience, & play!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: "Everyday Armageddon" -- this is fairly long, but I hope for your input

I'm not sure why the interest in zombies specifically has surged in recent times, but I know some contributing factors include zombie video games and movies. I know personally the end of society is appealing to me because I see it as a chance to prove myself worthy of surviving and all of the people who were not prepared will die off. It's a brutal honesty, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean. I would love to see the banking elite who are controlling this country crumble and I approve of an upcoming civil war and hope for it. This might be slightly off topic here! But, my theory is that a lot of people are waking up to the corruption of our government and realizing this brings about a sense of anger (and hopelessness at times) at the people who control it all and so the idea of it all falling apart is very appealing. We do need a change and one way to go about it is to see society collapse.

I do have my own theory about all of the end of the world movies that have been coming out. Put on your tin foil hat for this one, but basically, I think that these movies focus on desensitizing us to a Police State and the creators try to make government agencies look like the heroes - so that in a real life situation, the population is obedient and will not uprise against these organizations. They also try to stigmatize journalists and "conspiracy theorists" in these movies who are not following the government blindly. But in the age of the internet and such vast information at our fingertips, more and more people are waking up to this propaganda and for that I am glad.

Back on the zombie topic, I believe a lot of people are getting tired of every day life and the thought of killing zombies is refreshing and takes them out of their usual comfort zone and the prospect of a zombie virus is not as far fetched as some other sci-fi fictional antagonists, so people can visualize themselves in this zombie killing role a lot easier.

I'll probably add to this thread later with some more thoughts, but that's enough for now.
    Last edited by Jessicayla; 12-05-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That's a lot. Much to think about Jessica. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to update again because I talked about this with my boyfriend and he had a lot more logical response than I did, lol. Here's the basics of what he said.

The want for isolation and end of the world, apocalyptic settings is because of the pampered society that we live in, along with the growing amount of interconnectedness with social media. Basically, it comes down to, we are given everything we could possibly want in the current society. And we have tons of ways to connect to people, mostly through the internet - facebook, twitter, etc. This causes people to want to separate themselves a little more from people. If you think about it, the surge in the infatuation with apocalyptic settings correlates to the rise in social media and technology. It makes sense. Societies in the 1700s, 1800s, etc. did not have such an infatuation with this because they weren't connected to people in the way that we are today. They probably yearned for more ways to connect with people, and in today's society, we now have that, and want less of it.

And as far as the zombie appeal, my boyfriend said it stems from the inherent urge we have as humans/animals for conflict. The thing with zombies is that people wouldn't feel (as) bad about killing them because they are mindless - so they can now take out their need for conflict on this thing that has no feelings. Zombies are unlike any other being because of the mindlessness.

So, there's another view point for you, and his makes more sense than mine, lol. He said he has philosophized on this years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used to wonder on this subject too some time ago, why people have interest in something like zombies, destruction of world, Law n order.. Well, I say that these things are the Outcomes based on the current state of the world.

Every country is trying to emerge as a nuclear power, we all know that, you open a newspaper and there is a Fight going on in atleast one part of the world. Why ??
    Is this because of the building tensions and pressure on the minds of a human being which ultimately leads to Anger and hence result in Killing !!!

What is a zombie ? Something that is dead but wants you Dead too.. Isnt this a pictorial dipiction of someone who wants to show their power and superiority even after they are dead. This could have been one of the reasons why the Zombie thing came into existance.

Destruction of world order and survival of the fittest is again related to anger filled people who are tames by the politicians and filll their own pockets at the name of the country. This is not limited to just one country, but is a global insect. Every individual is pissed off by the politician of his country, but they can't do anything about it... so the nd result is the interest in destruction of complete law n order

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This conversation doesn't matter anyway..................we all only have 16 days to live anyway! Tick Tock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nothing i going to happen buddy... we would all be editing pics, answering queries, Playing Avatar Wars or just pulling each other's leg..

8. Likes ibclare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Don't mind him. It's just another i-am-sam moment after all!

He's already at the end of his world. Straight-Jacketed Unite! Rise up all ye Crazies. We bring you tidings of Insanity and Joy!

Free the People!!!

Thanks everyone for your input to date.

I see that a lot of my thoughts correlate to others, even if expressed differently. But I have heard other ideas from your reflections as well. And I don't find your POV illogical in the least Jessicayla. In fact, it is another very valid response to the chaos and one that I have seen evolving for 30 some years. Good luck with that. I'll yell PSG guru if I get close to your encampment so you don't shoot! And I'll bring my own food and water, lol.

10. Likes Jessicayla, IamSam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be happy to have you then, Clare

12. Likes ibclare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Wow!

Since it's really hard to type in a straight jacket, I'll keep this brief.

Jessica's boyfriend is on the right track when he stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica's Boyfriend
    And as far as the zombie appeal, my boyfriend said it stems from the inherent urge we have as humans/animals for conflict. The thing with zombies is that people wouldn't feel (as) bad about killing them because they are mindless - so they can now take out their need for conflict on this thing that has no feelings. Zombies are unlike any other being because of the mindlessness.
    People just want to kill other people. A Zombie is a human (facsimile) proxy that can be killed without guilt or remorse. An outlet or a modern interpretation of a punching bag. What bothers me is that there a some people who seriously believe that Zombies actually exist!

I'm choosing to steer clear of the rest of this conversation!

14. Likes Jessicayla liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast