What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do some get the gigs?

Paul

Former Member
[h=3]American retailer Target has come under fire for digitally altering an image of a swimsuit model to make it appear she has a thigh gap.[/h]A young model wearing the Target ‘Xhilaration® Junior's Midkini 2-Piece Swimsuit -Leopard Print’ swimsuit has been the victim of some overzealous Photoshopping.
Some shoddy airbrushing crudely removed a chunk of the model’s crotch area to create a ‘thigh gap’, a supposedly desirable - but evidently difficult to attain - physical feature for young girls to have.
The model also lost part of her right hip and the area under her armpit on the same side.

IMAGES IN LINK

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashi...rget-in-thigh-gap-photoshop-fail-controversy/

As you can see, it was probably some poor intern with little to no Ps skills. You wouldn't want that gig!

Basic shop skills, man we could all be making some serious wonga couldn't we Sam:mrgreen:

Yep!

Since they published this crud, I doubt they would actually pay us what we would charge!

Yep!

Since they published this crud, I doubt they would actually pay us what we would charge!

The fact is if they came here asking for someone to do it free, many people would be more than willing. And that is the main reason many individuals and businesses undervalue Photoshop skills.

Large and well known retail companies have their own design department. Usually, the design staff are the old school cut and paste people and I doubt they have the necessary Photoshop skills to tackle image manipulation of that sort.

Whoever they assigned that to really messed up that job.

And its not a question of free or paid... but rather, whether the person starting up PS in his or her computer can do the job right.

Large and well known retail companies have their own design department. Usually, the design staff are the old school cut and paste people and I doubt they have the necessary Photoshop skills to tackle image manipulation of that sort.

Whoever they assigned that to really messed up that job.

And its not a question of free or paid... but rather, whether the person starting up PS in his or her computer can do the job right.

Yes it is a question of free or paid.
When people work for free it devalues Photoshop skills across the board, and is one of the reasons so many people think that anyone can do it.

Whether the person is qualified to do the job right is directly connected to what the employer felt were important required skills for employment. If they felt that Photoshop skills were specialized and valuable, they would have paid to have someone with that knowledge and experience. If they appreciated the skills necessary and such a person was not on the payroll, they would have farmed out the work.

The fact that they gave the job to someone who is so obviously unqualified, is proof that Photoshop skills were not held in high esteem. Perhaps now that belief will be re-evaluated.

As I said its a matter of the necessary skills to do the job whether its free or paid.

I've been in this field for more than 2 decades. If necessary, I do free work for certain customers. Not only do I get paid work from them later on, it added to my value and reputation as a skilled design freelancer.

It's a matter of opinion and how one goes about his business, as well.

And simply put, the management higher ups at TARGET tasked at approving release of visuals didn't care much about what was approved for release. They are more at fault than the image manipulator.... Didn't they even see and realise the image was very wrong? Where was the department's art die-wreck-tore who has final say on the "quality" of the work?

Same could be said about other PS fails revolving around the net...

Of course everyone has a right to run their business however they see fit. Off the top of my head though, I can't think of another profession where people see working for free as a necessity.

I don't disagree with you entirely, Ralph. Working entirely for free at every chance or whenever requested is TOTAL NUTS and can spoil the market.

But a few free smallies can sometimes work as a good investment.

I don't disagree with you entirely, Ralph. Working entirely for free at every chance or whenever requested is TOTAL NUTS and can spoil the market.

But a few free smallies can sometimes work as a good investment.

I did freebies for a long time with the idea, and sometimes the actual promise of paid future work, but the only thing that ever materialized was more requests for freebies. Sounds like you've have better luck at it.

I did freebies for a long time with the idea, and sometimes the actual promise of paid future work, but the only thing that ever materialized was more requests for freebies. Sounds like you've have better luck at it.

I suffered this very same thought pattern while serving my tattooing apprenticeship, nearly every shop i went into asked if i had scratched from home, i knew if i had said yes i would not get the work/apprenticeship from them, even though 99% of all tattooists started in there own bedrooms or kitchens.

I ran my own shop for just over three years, and over that period of time i employed various artists and varying levels of ability, some really out of this word good and some the run of the mill day to day bread and butter tattooists, my point is I VETTED ALL OF THEM and then carried on vetting there ability while working for me, even when some had way better needle skills than me.

The original post was to highlight shop failings and abilities of some out there, this does include those who allowed it to get printed, freebies do work at a level (you scratch my back i will scratch yours) and all that.

It's not a matter of luck but more to how I danced in the game they created while maintaining my career standards, dignity and values in what I do for a living.

Back