What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Working with .3ds objects in Photoshop

enCiphered2nd

Hi everyone!

When I try to open a .3ds file in Photoshop, the different parts/layers of the object are spread all across the 3d scene. What could cause that issue? Anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Photoshop version 14.1.2 x64

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sometimes, .3ds or .OBJ objects (most especially those with high polygon count and a lot of parts) have a tendency to "explode" if opened in other applications other than the native format it was created in. If that happens when you open such a file in PS, there's nothing that can be done with it considering PS doesn't have the ability to put the pieces together again.

Hoogle

Guru
Oh snap lol I do find OBJs tend to import into ps easier however textures mess up more but then that is probably user error by me I suck at 3d within Photoshop.......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sometimes if your lucky , 3ds or obj files import without a snag. I've imported a huge polygon count Star Trek NCC-1701 into PS without a hitch .... but the smaller size Intrepid Voyager looked like it was blown to bits by a Photon Torpedo... :rofl:.