What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching a folder?

Les Stockton

I've read that you can do this in Elements, but I have CS6. I'm wanting to watch a particular folder, and as images appear there (probably raw files), I'd like to have them brought into a new layer within Lightroom.

Tom Mann

Guru
First, Lightroom doesn't have layers.

Second, even if you meant bring each into a separate layer in PS, like the old Chinese proverb says: be careful what you wish for.

Specifically, when I shoot an event, I will often take hundreds or even thousands of photos. If you take even a fraction of that number, and brought each one into a separate layer in PS, you would overwhelm the working memory on any computer that exists. PS would crash long before you loaded that many files.

The same problem would occur if you brought them in as separate PSD files and left all of them open.

Perhaps you have some unique situation (eg very small pixel dimensions and a limited number of files) that you didn't explain that would make this not so prohibitive.

Tom

Les Stockton

First, Lightroom doesn't have layers.

Second, even if you meant bring each into a separate layer in PS, like the old Chinese proverb says: be careful what you wish for.

Specifically, when I shoot an event, I will often take hundreds or even thousands of photos. If you take even a fraction of that number, and brought each one into a separate layer in PS, you would overwhelm the working memory on any computer that exists. PS would crash long before you loaded that many files.

The same problem would occur if you brought them in as separate PSD files and left all of them open.

Perhaps you have some unique situation (eg very small pixel dimensions and a limited number of files) that you didn't explain that would make this not so prohibitive.

Tom

First, Thanks for responding.
Secondly, I was talking about CS6, not Lightroom.
and yes, I am aware that too many layers would be a performance problem. In my case, for a particular shoot, I'm not talking about that many layers. I'd still like to know if it's possible to do this in Photoshop CS6.