Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

adding printed effect to fonts

Hello, is there a way or filter to give fonts this effect? like they been scan after printing.

cheers

Photography Section Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: adding printed effect to fonts

Sure - it's easy to get the basics: grain/noise and the slight defocused look, and I'm sure someone will post exactly how they would add these efx.

That being said, there are other characteristics of the image that need to be replicated for a completely accurate look including missing inkjet dots within each letter, and errant dots from the inkjet near each letter, what appears to be slight texture to the paper. In addition, there is a slight bit of chromatic aberration.

If no one beats me to it, I'll be happy to demonstrate how to do these effects when I get home late tonight and can use my Photoshop computer.

Tom M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this look close enough?

adding printed effect to fonts-tsttype.jpg

4. Likes Tom Mann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone beat you to it Tom...lol...

Very nice RT, maybe add the panel settings on how you achieved this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I didn't save the psd but this is how I did it.

First use whatever type you require (obviously). Rasterize then add a slight Gaussian blur. Create a new layer and Render - Clouds. I then set the Blending mode of the text layer to diffuse and added one of the default textures over the top that kinda looked like paper.

This creates a pretty uniform looking type, but like Tom said you'll need to go over by band and create those little imperfections if you want it to look genuine.

7. Thanks Inkz clicked thanks for this post
    Likes Tom Mann liked this post
    Photography Section Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RTC, that's really excellent! (and, it's almost exactly how I would have done it).

If I was really attempting to produce a simulation as close as humanly possible to the original, the only other thing I might have done would be to add just a smidgen of simulated chromatic aberration. The background just above each dark area is a bit warmer than a pure white, but cooler below each area of dark pixels.

Cheers,

Tom

9. Likes RTContent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mann View Post
    RTC, that's really excellent! (and, it's almost exactly how I would have done it).

... the only other thing I might have done would be to add just a smidgen of simulated chromatic aberration.
    Funny that you mention that because I did that as well, but once I overlaid a paper texture it made it redundant so I thought I wouldn't mention that step.

11. Likes Tom Mann liked this post