What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not too sure where to go

ShockTop

Hey guys,

I just recently joined the Photoshop community not too long ago. I have the latest version of Photoshop CS6 and have been messing around with it a little. I have followed many tutorials and have created many somewhat decent pieces while following the guidelines of the tutorials. I was wanted to move out onto my own and not have to watch a tutorial to learn how to do something new.

My problem is that I lack ideas, I'm not too sure where to start. I am familiar with what many of the tools are except I'm not sure what I should attempt to create. Whenever I take a photo that I'd like to edit and play around with it for a little while I never end up getting anywhere and always revert to where I had begun.

So my question is this: where should I go to gain inspiration? Where do I start? Any advice would be fantastic, I'm just trying to get things rolling on my own!

Welcome to the forum, ShockTop.

You can find inspiration in things around you. You can also try browsing through the halls of the forum. A topic, a Gallery Showcase image can spark something that will get you going.

Enjoy your time here.

Well, my girlfriend is a photographer and she takes photos of nature mostly (that seems to be the case for many photographers). I'm not too sure what exactly interests me when it comes to Photoshop, I suppose I havn't been exposed to too much just yet.

Stick around here when you see people making requests etc have a go at it yourself You dont have to upload it but that is the most fun part for me in photoshop is working out how to do it, The more work you do the more you will start realising you tend to lean to a certain area which you enjoy most.

G'day mate, how about i set you a mini challenge - nothing serious just a 'start you off' kind of thing.
You up for it?

From a photographers point of view the less you need to do in Photoshop the better if your talking about straight photography.
Getting it right in the camera is always preferable to fixing it in Photoshop.

If you're looking to create abstracts with photographs that's something different.
You learn by looking at lots and lots of images that you find interesting.

Depends which way you want to go mate, if you want to alter one of your own images first then upload it (anyone will do for now) so i can think of something for you to do with it.

Just to get you started, could you recolour the frame in lime green please, maybe do some softening and blurs/ lighting could help - it's your image mate. Also, add a font of your liking that fits the image, with the word FAST on it.
Nothing to hard just a start.
Good luck.

P.S. explanation on how you get the end would help others.

This is my final product for the little challenge. The following changes were made:

1. Changing the frame color - I used the Hue/Saturation under Adjustments to select the blue frame. I shift clicked about 5 locations on the blue frame, and then changed the color to neon green. I then used a mask to take away all of the unwanted color change that was not on the frame itself.

2. Lens Flare - I used the Lens Flare under the Filter > Render > Lens Flare to add a realistic lighting effect to the headlamp of the bike.

3. "Softening" - To soften the picture I created a new layer, selected Gaussian Blur under Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur, and then set the opacity to 26%. This softened a lot of the hard edges on the bike without blurring it too much.

4. Text - I used the font "Bernard MT Condensed" to write the word "Fast" at the bottom of the picture in blue. Then to create a moving feeling I went under Filter > Blur > Motion Blur and had it at an angle of 0 and Distance of 14 pixels.

If there are any changes/different methods please feel free to comment. =)

Attachments

• Work1.jpg
    Work1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 10
very nice indeed, one issue i personally have is with the font colour - it takes you away from the bike (i asked you to put a font in as i knew it would be difficult - as font in images is always a tricky one)
Great job with the blends and lighting, also your explanation is excellent, i think you are better than you gave your self credit mate.

What would you suggest the font color to be? I'm not the best with choosing colors, I'm color blind, haha. :p

Ok not sure if you did this or not but makes life a lot easier with your hue saturation adjustment layer you do know you can select the blue channel so it will only effect the blues in the image. Hell of a lot less masking out to do then

Back