What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent Background

nancyasu93

Hi Everyone,

I am just learning photoshop and am working on a graphic and want a transparent background, which is easy to do with the magic wand. However, in this case the white background that I am trying to change to transparent is connected to part of the graphic. As you can see in the image that I posted, the letter, "f" in the Facebook photo is also white and open at the bottom, so when I attempt to delete the white background it also makes the "f" transparent as well instead of leaving it white. I have searched for an answer and tried to figure this out myself but had no luck. I appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks!

Nancyrsz_xtremefbcoverslogo.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Nancy and welcome to PSG.

I duplicated the original image.
I then added a Curves adjustment layer and darkened the image slightly.
I then used the Magic Wand Tool with the tolerance set to 8, to select the whiter area.

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 10.44.29 AM.png

I then highlighted the original image (not darkened) and hit delete. I prefer using a layer mask, but that's up to you.
Hit Com/cntrl + D to deselect.

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 10.46.24 AM.png

nancyasu93

Thanks so much! I could not figure out how to do that on my own. I really appreciate it! Love this forum already!

Nancy