What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error is: scratch disk full; how do you fix this problem

nelsonsamuel

I have a pc with two hard drives 2 terabytes each. I made a new local disk named P: which has about gigabyte in size. This was done because I had originally put the program on the c: drive and got the error. After reading that such a large file will not work, I took out space for a reasonable amount to run Photoshop 7.0 and make a new drive just for Photoshop. I removed all files of Photoshop and re-installed it on the new drive. I cannot make any new preferences because I cannot get passed the loading of the program. I am using Windows 7 as my OS. I have searched to no avail to find an answer. i know that the edit has a setting for preferences which you can adjust the settings for the scratch disk; however, I cannot get to edit because I cannot get passed the loading of the program since it gives the error message and bombs out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

nelsonsamuel

I have a pc with two hard drives 2 terabytes each. I made a new local disk named P: which has about gigabyte in size. This was done because I had originally put the program on the c: drive and got the error. After reading that such a large file will not work, I took out space for a reasonable amount to run Photoshop 7.0 and make a new drive just for Photoshop. I removed all files of Photoshop and re-installed it on the new drive. I cannot make any new preferences because I cannot get passed the loading of the program. I am using Windows 7 as my OS. I have searched to no avail to find an answer. i know that the edit has a setting for preferences which you can adjust the settings for the scratch disk; however, I cannot get to edit because I cannot get passed the loading of the program since it gives the error message and bombs out. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Having now talked with my youngest son, I have the correct answer.
1. The problem began with the fact that the hard drive is 2 terabytes with no partition.
2. You must make a partition.
3. You must now use CTL+ALT together to bring up the box with the form to adjust the scratch disk.
4. Place the new local disk, I used the letter P:\ in the first position and none for all the others.
5. Restart the Photoshop program. It now works like a charm.

Thanks to my son Neil.

peta62

Guru
Having now talked with my youngest son, I have the correct answer.
1. The problem began with the fact that the hard drive is 2 terabytes with no partition.
2. You must make a partition.
3. You must now use CTL+ALT together to bring up the box with the form to adjust the scratch disk.
4. Place the new local disk, I used the letter P:\ in the first position and none for all the others.
5. Restart the Photoshop program. It now works like a charm.

Thanks to my son Neil.

In my opinion the problem is that Photoshop 7 is, as many other programs, too old to recognise such a large disk space and missinterprets the size of it, so it refuses to work with it. It is due to a fact that integer overflow leads to negative numbers.

Blitz.

In my opinion the problem is that Photoshop 7 is, as many other programs, too old to recognise such a large disk space and missinterprets the size of it, so it refuses to work with it. It is due to a fact that integer overflow leads to negative numbers.

But he said he has partitioned the disk?

Could you tell us the spec of your machine? I think scratch disk is Photoshop's term for Virtual Memory (page file)

- This is in the wrong area!!!

Last edited:

peta62

Guru
But he said he has partitioned the disk?

Could you tell us the spec of your machine? I think scratch disk is Photoshop's term for Virtual Memory (page file)

- This is in the wrong area!!!

Yes, because partitioning of disk divides the space into smaller parts, so he probably got below the limit into the area his old Photoshop can recognise.

No, scratch disk is a real disk where Photoshop caches its working files, you can see its size and location in Photoshop configuration.

Last edited:

Blitz.

I understand what a partition is, however you stated in your first post the issue is due to the drive being too large however he said he has partitioned it to make it smaller. So I don't really understand how it can be too large as in effect he has 2 logical disks.

It sounds like as he has partitioned the disk at 1GB and there isn't enough room for the temp files (scratch disk) to store. Try extending the size of the partition Nelson.

peta62

Guru
I understand what a partition is, however you stated in your first post the issue is due to the drive being too large however he said he has partitioned it to make it smaller. So I don't really understand how it can be too large as in effect he has 2 logical disks.

It sounds like as he has partitioned the disk at 1GB and there isn't enough room for the temp files (scratch disk) to store. Try extending the size of the partition Nelson.

He fixed it by shrinking the diskspace by partitions and he was not writing about 1GB but 1TB.

Blitz.

Ah ok, I didn't know old apps would have trouble with such large disk space. So Thanks!

peta62

Guru
Ah ok, I didn't know old apps would have trouble with such large disk space. So Thanks!

It is due to the way integer is stored ( first bit holds plus/minus, so max+1 goes to -max ) and the fact there was a 2GB limitation for a very long time, nobody expected the need for such a large files the same way as four number IP address seems to be more than enough.