What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with photoshop

zoe20

Power User
one of my friends called me yesterday saying his Photoshop is taking almost 20 mints to open . When i asked him about his pc configuration he said hes using xp pro 32 bit with 3GB ram, Intel (R) Core (TM), i5-2500CPU @3.30GHz, 3.29GHz,3.41GB RAM.Hes using PHOTOSHOP CS6 Master collection.Is there any way improve his Photoshop to open much faster? with some minute changes at the preferences etc..?? It is also helpful to all the members in here on how to make the Photoshop open much faster if some gurus pore in some of their expert opinions.

Regards

procedure : TfrmTroubleshoot, ProblemSolve;
BEGIN
problem = windowsXP;
IF user has money or is Student of Dreamspark enabled educational establishment THEN
BEGIN
Install Windows Version 7 or better;
ELSE
use older version of Photoshop;
ENDIF
END

//if I remember rightly Photoshop CS6 will work, but it is not well suited to windows XP, it'll be worth upgrading to windows 7 anyway, seeing as windows XP loses its support this month (I think) and it is more vulnerable to the internet nasties.

Last edited:
20 minutes is way too long even for that configuration IMO. I used CS5 on an XP 32 bit with 4 GB of ram and a less powerful CPU, and it took maybe 30-45 seconds to load.

i'll admit, 20 minutes is quite odd.

if it's a first boot up, expect it to take a while, but if it's just suddenly started going like that, it would lead me to think there's an underlying issue.

are any other programs like that or is it just photoshop?

Probably has a lot of background applications running.

My CS tends to restart much slower after working on it and closing.

But 20 minutes is a bit extreme.....

How much memory is he allowing PS to use? It is logical to me that if he has other programs competing for the memory, that could possibly be a cause. A max of about 70% should be set in PS Preferences/Performance. May need to be set lower than that..try and see if that helps.

i5 with 3 gb ram and 32 bit OS = Murder. Ok I know i5 is not exactly top of the range but come on guys treat it with the respect it deserves

i3 2- 6 Gbs of ram i5 4 - 12 Gbs of ram i7 6 -32 Gbs of ram unless you just want high numbers then sure put in 64 GBs or 128.

Anyway not really the problem here I doubt unless he is running 3.41 gbs of ram like stated after you state 3 Gbs. If it is 3.41 then I am guessing he has a faulty stick and it should be 2 x 2 Gbs totalling 4 Gbs at about 3.8 useable. Of course anything beyond 4 gig wont be worth anything on a 32 bit OS. But if he insists on keeping that hardware configuration windows 8.1 is the way to go lightest and fastes microsoft modern release.

I had a client the other day with similar issues on a better spec machine and cracked photoshop turned out he had adapted his host file and totally corrupted it.

I would do a hdd check as programs hanging on boot is usually an early sign of smart failure on hard drive

Back