What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Tutorial #3- Mask & Layers Essentials!

amigo

Hello again!
I'm happy to share the new tutorial about masks and layers.
Is this tutorial I covers the basics of masks in Photoshop. First we will quickly go through Layers, since you can not understand what a mask is or does before you understand what a layer is and once we're done with layers- we will continue to learn what a mask is, when we use it, how we use it, and a few cool shortcuts and tips.

I hope this tutorial will help some of you out and teach you something new!
see you around,
AP

JgraphNet

Power User
Excellent tutorial, amigo !

You've managed to compress the most important essentials on Layers and Masks to a 12 min presentation.

I remember when learning about Masks it was a bit tricky to keep in mind which of the colors Black or White did what, but then I came across this expression: " Black conseals - White reveals "
... and from there it was no problem anymore.

Waiting for tutorial #4 here !!! :)

amigo

Thanks a lot my friend!
It wasn't easy making it that 'short' but I know people usually prefer shorter tutorials than longer one.
I'd like to get some reactions from people around the forum, if you prefer longer or shorter tutorials? Or maybe the length doesn't matter if the tutorial itself is good?
I liked the expression you use :) It's definitely confusing at the beginning.. I still get confused some times ;)

I'm working on Tutorial #4, it will be out soon enough!

JgraphNet

Power User
I'd like to get some reactions from people around the forum, if you prefer longer or shorter tutorials? Or maybe the length doesn't matter if the tutorial itself is good?
Well, amigo, I think you just have to do your thing and get used to silence ...
Check out the tut's I've got up here. Some of them have 1000-1200+ hits and the replies are in no way in par with those numbers. Actually, it's about the same people responding every time. The novelty of video tutorials is since long gone, so lots of people watch them but very few care to comment - unless they have something to add.

>I liked the expression you use
It originates from the Guru of them all - Mr Deke McClelland.
When I teach about layermasks I usually say: Imagine you switch off the lights in a room - it becomes black and you see nothing (of the layers content). Turn the lights back on again - it becomes white - and you see everyting (of the layers content).

So, my friend, just keep doing what you do. I for one think it's very good stuff you produce and making them shorter may force you to leave important info out - just to stay within a certain time frame. So don't rush them. Take your time. Lots of people here are not native English speaking (you and me included) so a slower pace is better ...

It may very well happend that we doubble up on a topic of a tutorial but that's just fine. People tend to prefer one tutor over another, so there can't be too many of them...

amigo

Hey again.
Thanks for your 'support' ;)

Well at least I know some people are learning new stuff from the tutorials, and that's what I'm here for.

I really like your layer masks explanation about the light turned of. Its a really good way to think about it!

I didn't notice you had a tutorial about masks already, so I had a look now and saw you have really good tutorials. I'll have a look at them and I'll probably learn a few new things!

Ok, I'm now in the midst of work on #4, so I'll see you around my friend!

JgraphNet

Power User
I didn't notice you had a tutorial about masks already, so I had a look now and saw you have really good tutorials.
That's no problem, amigo. It doesn't matter if we happend to doubble up on a topic. Explained twice people might get the hang of it and start to learn .. :)
Just keep pushing them out !

Paul

Former Member
Great tut Amigo, really helpful and concise thank you.

Vafann

Guru
Thank you, that was helpful! I have a problem with masks, (well I have more than one problem but anyway...lol) why does it seem like masks don´t completely hide everything underneath them? I think it always shows through slightly and doesn´t completely cover it even if I have the opacity set to 100 %. Is this normal? :)

amigo

Thanks Belial & Vafann, I really appreciate your comments.

Vafann, if you're using the brush tool to create you mask, make sure your brush is solid black. If its even a little bit on the gray side, your will start seeing through you layer. Watch the tutorial from minute 8:40 to see what I mean.

Secondly, you can always make a selection on your layer, and then click on the mask button at the bottom. This will automatically create a mask with your selection.
If you click Alt+mask button, you will create an inverted mask which mean a mask on what you didn't select. Or you can also click on your mask thumbnail and click Ctr+I for invert.

Does this answer your question?
If there is any thing else you're having a problem with, let me know and I'll try to help.

Amigo

Vafann

Guru
Thanks Belial & Vafann, I really appreciate your comments.

Vafann, if you're using the brush tool to create you mask, make sure your brush is solid black. If its even a little bit on the gray side, your will start seeing through you layer. Watch the tutorial from minute 8:40 to see what I mean.

Secondly, you can always make a selection on your layer, and then click on the mask button at the bottom. This will automatically create a mask with your selection.
If you click Alt+mask button, you will create an inverted mask which mean a mask on what you didn't select. Or you can also click on your mask thumbnail and click Ctr+I for invert.

Does this answer your question?
If there is any thing else you're having a problem with, let me know and I'll try to help.

Amigo

OH!! Thank you!! I have been using a soft brush, could this be the problem?? I am going to save your comment as a note so I will remember! I am going to try out your suggestions! thank again! :)

amigo

You're more than welcome.
Yes the brush softness definitely affects the mask. Because what does a brush do when it is 'soft'? in our case (masks) It simply creates a gradient from the Black to white (or white to black). And between black and white you have grays. Those gray's will not be 100% masked.

So yes, if you want to create a sharp mask, select a sharp brush or use the marquee tools.

photoaz

Hello again!
I'm happy to share the new tutorial about masks and layers.
Is this tutorial I covers the basics of masks in Photoshop. First we will quickly go through Layers, since you can not understand what a mask is or does before you understand what a layer is and once we're done with layers- we will continue to learn what a mask is, when we use it, how we use it, and a few cool shortcuts and tips.

I hope this tutorial will help some of you out and teach you something new!
see you around,
AP

I'm in photoshop heaven! Love it :)

Carrie56

Power User
I can only say you can never watch or read too many tutorials. There is so much to learn and I am self taught and where does my info come from? All tutorials of course so thanks for the tuts and keep em coming!

JgraphNet

Power User
(^^Pointing to post above ^^)
See what I mean, amigo ? There can't be to many of them ... :)