What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent frames disappear when exporting animated gif for the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggmeng

Hi Folks,

I used an online video converter to create a 10 second gif animation from a video clip, of an object on a white background. The goal is to add a bit of text and replace the background with transparency.

I opened the gif in CS6 and found 100 frames had been created as 100 layers. Using the player in the Save to Web export option the animation plays fine, and it also plays in the web browser. I added a layer with some text on a transparent background and put that highest. Saved the file as a PSD. So far so good.

However when I start knocking out the white backgrounds the results are unpredictable.

First, for every layer where I do this the images disappear from the animation. When playing it back in PS or when exported as a gif and viewed in a browser, the edited frames seem to have been discarded or ignored, and when I flip through all the frames one at a time in Save for Web or using the arrows in the Timeline panel, all I see in the edited ones are empty (transparent) canvases where the images used to be.

Second, it seems that several frames in front of and behind each edited one are also suddenly empty (transparent.)

Meanwhile in edit PS mode all appears normal.

Can someone advise?
Thanks,
Martin

Hi again,

I paid $30 for the stock video clip I'm using (or trying to use) to create this animated gif with transparent background. Then I paid another $10 for the online conversion from mp4 to gif, which allowed me to choosing the start/stop points, reduce the speed, and set the frame rate. All of that went well.

So I'm really hoping to find an answer to why something that would appear to be a fairly straightforward PS task, isn't working. Else I'm 40 bucks in the hole.

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks,
Eggmeng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back