What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On The Fly Precise Brush Sizing

4DragonsMedia

So maybe everyone knows this but in every tutorial i've ever seen, they all talk about right-clicking the mouse and using the slider to size your brush as being the 'quick' method of accessing brush size if you are using a mouse.

The way that I do it is to press and hold the ALT key and then press and hold the RIGHT mouse button and drag the mouse left and right to re-size my brush. If you use Paint Shop Pro it works the same when you press and hold the ALT key and press and hold/drag the LEFT mouse button.

Cheers,

4D.

So maybe everyone knows this but in every tutorial i've ever seen, they all talk about right-clicking the mouse and using the slider to size your brush as being the 'quick' method of accessing brush size if you are using a mouse.

That's right that's one of those very useful tricks.
I've been working this way for a very long time. "also works whit pen tablets"

on a mac all you have to do is push [ ] keys for increasing size or decreasing size on the fly

hm thats strange mine goes i think 1 pix

hmmm just tried it, at 10 px it drops by 1 above 10 lets say 25, it drops by 5 never noticed that before, I usually keep the brushes fairly small though

Is that only for PS5? Pressing ALT gives eyedrop tool for me and no brush size after mouse presing. What do i do wrong?

LoL...right, i should woke at noon.

Then must been something else, i have CS3. And Stamp tool + ALT is for stamping "example" and still not brush size too.

LoL...right, i should woke at noon.

Then must been something else, i have CS3. And Stamp tool + ALT is for stamping "example" and still not brush size too.

So if you are in Brush mode, it changes to stamping mode? Hmmm thats strange. Then what I read on Adobe is totally wrong. Bah, that figures.

:rofl: I mean when Stamp tool is active presing ALT don't give option to change brush size. Plus post before when using Brush and press/hold ALT cursor goes to eyedrop. Using CS3.

That Alt+rightclick_n_hold+drag (Win) or Ctrl+Opt+Click_n_hold+drag (Mac) only works in CS4 and CS5 since it is an Open GL thing. You don't have that in versions before CS4.
So - if Open GL doesn't work or is deactivated (for some reason) it won't work in 4 and 5 either.

Brush Keyboard Shortcuts

Last edited:
My pleasure, SeniorS !
The fastest and most convenient way of changing brush size on the fly in CS3 and previous versions is to use the bracket keys - if you're on an English keyboard layout and running an English language version of Photoshop.
If not, you have to re-assign the hotkeys as I show in the tutorial. Or - use the hotkeys you find in the panel that's assigned to your respective language version of PhS.

I use those bracket all the times (and for hardness too). Just was intrested in testing that way of changing.

i believe you can actualy adjust the steps it takes when using bracket keys in preferences but then I am never that precise to notice works fine for me

i believe you can actualy adjust the steps it takes when using bracket keys in preferences but then I am never that precise to notice works fine for me
Nope - you can't. The steps are preset in the software and I don't think there's any way you can adjust it.

zanymaria: What is it that doesn't work. Bracket keys or that Open GL thing... ?

Back