What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little probem with this edge. Pic inside. (VERY NOOB, I think)

Tom Mann

Guru
MX_TR, I have a better suggestion: Instead of slightly stopping down the aperture (which won't do much, at all), add some light to the scene (eg, bounce flash, open the drapes, take the photo at a different time of day, etc.) so you can *really* stop down the lens, and then blur the background. Blurring works infinitely better than attempting to sharpen something that is already blurred.

T

iDad

Guru
That would probably be a good idea Tom but when do you think the next time that moment happens (find the cat sleeping on the car catch it just as its yawning) ;) The moment has passed, the fix is in the image he/she seeks.:gtfo:.j/k Mann!

Paul

Former Member
Thanks to everyone. I got a good result by using the clone tool. Probably my eye goes always there, because I know I did the trick but overall I think is not so noticeable.
And yes Tom, I wanted sharper edges as you said. Next time I can try to control the aperture, maybe 1.8/2.0 will be better, as I do not have a telephoto lens.

Thank you all for the precious tips :)

An image of your effort would be nice just to give us all closure:mrgreen:

iDad

Guru
Closure?... Have you been traumatized by this request?:mrgreen:

Paul

Former Member
It's dead or on the last gasps of it from what i can see:mrgreen:

Tom Mann

Guru
@iDad: I guess I've got a very different perspective on this sort of thing.

I disagree with your premise that you'll miss the shot. In my experience, at minimum, if no other source of light is available (eg, you can't reach over and flick on the light switch), it takes only a second to turn on the built in flash in almost any consumer digital camera made in the last 10 years including cell phone cameras, so why not do it? What's the trade-off -- harsh light and overly dark backgrounds (that *can* be fixed in PP) vs unusably low light (that essentially can't be fixed)?

In the last 5 years, I can't think of a single case where I was faced by a spontaneous or rapidly developing situation in a low light situation that I didn't have time to turn some sort of light on, even if it was only the little pop-up flash on whatever camera I was carrying, and this includes middle-of-the-night accidents where I've jumped of the car, turned on the pop-up flash, and shot from 100 feet away (wide open at ISO 12,000) to get the whole accident scene in the image.

At least with a bit of light on the subject, there is something to work with, and when you're done PP'ing it, you might actually wind up with something that's worth keeping and showing around instead of throwing away like the zillions of other crap pix that are taken every day.

Of course, extracting the best out of a scene illuminated by in-your-face, on-camera flash is wildly different from trying to extract anything useful out of a shot taken at the extremes of ISO, f-stop and shutter speed, but at least the former is doable, whereas the latter often isn't.

Just my 2 or 3 cents on the subject. ;-)

T

PS - @OP: You shouldn't post pix on the web in the HD 709-A color space. If you want the best possible viewing by the widest number of people, use sRGB instead. I don't have a Mac, but my understanding is that HD 709-A is meant for HDef TV output only.

iDad

Guru
your explanation is duly noted, I can't for the life of me think of a moment where I caught a cat sleeping on vent of the hood of the car and then yawned.. As for your settings for a shot or camera go,I don't doubt it makes all the sense in the world. I'm not a photographer so I'm lost with the explanation (only being honest here) I don't think perspective has anything to do with a moment captured and it needing to be touched up, no offense but this is not in the photography forum he was looking for a digital correction of an image already taken not a photography lesson
"Hello everybody. I'm new to Photoshop and I'm currently using CS6.
I was wondering if it's possible to make the marked part (see image if you have time, it's just 44k) more similar to the one below, which is sharper and more in focus. I've tried by decreasing brightness, shadows, lights, contrast and so on.. But it always looks fake. Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't how to call it. A sort of halo/blur/??? on the edge."

Okay aside from me busting your balls I'll leave it alone, just playing with you. Take no offense.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi iDad - I think we've had a similar discussion b4. I certainly understand and generally agree with your point about trying not to deviate too far from the question an OP asks. In most cases, that's exactly what we all should do.

However, when I see a way to help an OP to achieve his overall goal (ie, an easy way to wildly improve similar images, and/or do so with much less work (in this case, time spent in PS)), I'm sorry, but I feel almost duty-bound to suggest my approach to them, even if it involves some aspect of image-making that the OP didn't specifically ask about.

One of the reasons I do this is because often an OP will not have broad enough knowledge to even know what is the best question to ask, so they phrase their request in terms of something (in this case, PS) that they know might improve their image.

In this case, when the OP said, "PS: I'm almost sure it is related to the aperture, which was 1.4", it was clear to me that he is starting to learn about the controls on cameras, already has identified by himself the exact cause of his problem (but wasn't confident in his analysis), and most likely would be receptive to a photography-related suggestion, especially after he had already been given a number of PS-related responses.

Anyway, when it comes to such matters, the good thing is that we all want to help guys like this, even if we all focus on different aspects of their problem.

Best regards,

Tom

MX_TR

Hello.
Thank you all in advance for your help and comments. And please excuse me for the late reply. I take all your tips and suggestions as gold. I just wanted to get the best from this picture because it was a very nice and funny moment, non reproducible, something about 1/400 :)rolleyes:) sec and I couldn't use a flash or anything else. And of course I couldn't stop and think what to do, except CLICKING THAT BUTTON! ;)
Anyway what iDad told me (use the burn tool) helped me a lot to achieve what I wanted. And I'm really glad for the time you all have spent on this thread.
Thank you all :)
And sorry for my English!

iDad

Guru
Glad the image has reached a satisfactory level, very cool shot! I can see why you wanted to save/ fix it... Pop in anytime . It gives me a reason to drive Tom crazy!:mrgreen: