Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not sure what to call this one.

Some reason I wanted to make a gloomy weather lookin pic. Didn't want it to be raining, but have that look that it's going to storm soon. Probably could of done a little more with the sky, but wasn't sure what to do. Anyways enjoy.-lake-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Not sure what to call this one.

Just looks like night time to me, not so much overcast. The vignette is pretty strong too, might want to lower the opacity on it, unless that was what you were going for.

Love the scenery though, looks very pretty despite the desolation

3. Likes IamSam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I agree with Jessicayla about the vignette and I understand her observation that the sky looks like night but not storm particularly.

My observations: gloomy can be beautiful and you have a good start, but treat this like you would a scene of a sunset. In other words, bring some light and contrast into the muddy foreground and make it really stand out and look luscious. The rock is also getting lost. It can have some ghostly glow, maybe just a slight color shift and some brightening (which color sift can sometimes do). Finally, I would consider changing the sky altogether to something a bit more foreboding. You can paint darker areas on a layer above, use a gradient and alter the results, etc.
    Those are my thoughts. Add some drama to the scene.

Here's kind of what I had in mind, not perfect but a sort of quick edit:

-inclement-jpg
    Last edited by ibclare; 12-03-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, patience, & play!

5. Likes Jessicayla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You hit it right on the nail, Clare. I think the ground being the same hue as the sky gave the idea that it was night time, but with the brighter ground, it helps to show that the ground itself is not dark from the sky. The contrast of the brighter ground really gives that feeling of a storm-a-brewin' (:

7. Thanks ibclare clicked thanks for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When a pic is shot on the lower shutter speeds, the ground and the sky gets illuminated more than the horizon, the edit by Clare show the same thing, this makes it look as if it was shot straight from the camera on low shutter speed. Nice one clare..

9. Thanks ibclare clicked thanks for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

hershy, Sorry if it looks like I am trying to steal your thunder (uh ...). I am just showing you one direction your image could go. It has great bones to work with. I think mainly it is just too flat, too little contrast. But I love the brooding atmosphere.

11. Likes Jessicayla, chitkaran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is why I show my stuff here, ya'll (living in the south too long) help me out. clare, your edit def. makes it look better. Ive been trying to find the psd file for this but can't find it. Hell don't even remember what I named it. Maybe I'll try this look again but different yanno? Thanks for the input. The thing about shutter speed that chitkaran said, I never would of known that. All I got is point and shoot camera so shutter speed is not something I can adjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

"Yanno?" Yep. I'd like to see you try it again, keeping the theme/mood. Anticipating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Im getting ready to start on it

15. Likes ibclare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re-done. Made a few changes, not done (I think).

-storm-jpg

17. Likes Jessicayla liked this post