What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kill To Survive

Great work as usual Chris! I really like the way you turned the photos of the human subjects into illustrations. Very nice.

Very nice Chris! Like Sam, I too love the animated style. One little thing though and maybe it's just me, but the guy looks a bit odd. Can't put my finger on it what's wrong with him though. Guess my eye's aren't trained enough :) But I really love the woman with the sword. She is very nicely done!

looks really cool! :D

only one thing from me, I think the woman who's been gored by said dragon needs up scaling, she's a tad on the small side

I love the way you textured the dragon to make it look more real and meet the character depiction somewhere in the middle. I like it.

I do agree with the critiques. I think maybe what could be wrong with the guy is that his thighs and crotch look like one continuous flat surface. Maybe it's just that I haven't enlareged it yet, but first impression at my monitor size strikes me that way.

Thank you all for looking and your interesting comments. I appreciate it very much.

I guess the guy looks a bit odd because he makes a big leap forward for his attack to kill. This could explain his suspenseful pose in the air and his spread legs. Martial arts? It was my intention to show him in an act of violence and powerful determination.

i think i've figured it out...

it's his feet, the way they're postitioned in the photo is really off :p he also could do with some light shadowing perhaps on the tree.

Humn......maybe I should ask.

Based on her foreground position (and gaze), I thought that the woman with the sword was protecting the Dragon and it's kill from the man, who has manged to sneak up behind her to attack the Dragon.

Is that how it's supposed to be?

Humn......maybe I should ask.

Based on her foreground position (and gaze), I thought that the woman with the sword was protecting the Dragon and it's kill from the man, who has manged to sneak up behind her to attack the Dragon.

Is that how it's supposed to be?

No Sam...the woman is scared and paralysed to be the dragon's next victim.

i think i've figured it out...

it's his feet, the way they're postitioned in the photo is really off :p he also could do with some light shadowing perhaps on the tree.

I didn't alter the position of his feet, I used the original image, remember, his is jumping up and in the act of throwing his javelin. I just adjusted the lighting to the scene.
But maybe I can try and put his back foot on the ground, to make it more believable.

I didn't alter the position of his feet, I used the original image, remember, his is jumping up and in the act of throwing his javelin. I just adjusted the lighting to the scene.
But maybe I can try and put his back foot on the ground, to make it more believable.

I wouldn't do that, because to me it's very obvious that he is in mid air doing an attack. Maybe you should make him bigger. Now it looks like he is going to land behind the dragon instead of on his head. I could be wrong though, still trying to figure it out :)

I wouldn't do that, because to me it's very obvious that he is in mid air doing an attack. Maybe you should make him bigger. Now it looks like he is going to land behind the dragon instead of on his head. I could be wrong though, still trying to figure it out :)

Thanks markr, but in the meantime I was working on a new version, I post it anyway. See update on the first page.

What i like most is the colour and visual depth you managed to create Chris

Thank you Paul, it is achieved by adjusting the lighting. This was very time consuming in this case.

Ok forget my last comment, the updated version looks so much better. I guess it were the feet after all :) Nice work Chris!

chris said:
No Sam...the woman is scared and paralysed to be the dragon's next victim.

Oh ok........to me, based on her size, she appears as though she is much closer to the foreground and she's staring out well in front of the dragon. I think its her gaze that's throwing me off as well as her larger size as compared to the victim.

I prefer the aggressive flying attack of the warrior man in the first image. The second version implies fear and that he may be trying to throw the spear as he is in a throwing stance like a Olympic Javelin thrower, in which case you would have to change his grip on the spear.

Thank you markr and Sam for your comments. Both of you have your point of view. It is very interesting for me and a good way to learn and improve my work.

OK, now I think, as a woman, that I am questioning . . . your warrior woman doesn't look in the least scared to me. I envision her as a strong woman, about to turn and face the dragon with her own wrath. Oh woman, she is weak and fragile, relying on the strength of man to save her from peril. I don't buy it. :rofl:

BTW, the standing man looks much better, even though I didn't object to his flying stance at all. I still believe the dragon's victim looks too small.

OK, now I think, as a woman, that I am questioning . . . your warrior woman doesn't look in the least scared to me. I envision her as a strong woman, about to turn and face the dragon with her own wrath. Oh woman, she is weak and fragile, relying on the strength of man to save her from peril. I don't buy it. :rofl:

BTW, the standing man looks much better, even though I didn't object to his flying stance at all. I still believe the dragon's victim looks too small.

Thanks Clare...good to hear a female evaluation and interpretation. Of course you're right, she is a strong warrior woman, but any one would be scared to death in a situation like this, male warrior or female warrior likewise. I nearly sh..t myself just photoshopping this image.

I also post an update soon with a bigger dragon victim.

Back