What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ironworker

Nice tone to it, but the crops too much for my liking mate.

Great shot and I like the focus/blur. In keeping with what Paul said, it's a bit too centered.

Boschman said:
You think it needs a little more open space to the right?
Yeah, I think that could really help, it's worth a look.

BTW, the centering doesn't bother me, due to other elements carrying your eye off to the sides. Adding more space on the right would actually feel off balance to me. I like it just as is.

Great shot and very good treatment Bosch.
I would love to see a version with more space on the right side of the image, It would increase the guy's determination.

I'm typing this while riding in a car, so this has to be short. However here are two aspects of the picture that immediately grab my attention:

1. I really want to see the subject's face. I think doing so would make a much stronger image. However it'll then be very different from what you probably have in mind.

2. Because of all of the crisscrossing lines on both the subject and the background, IMHO, the subject blends into the background too much. Conventionally, there is always a difference in something, eg., texture, color, brightness, focus, etc. to visually separate the subject from the background. In this photo, there are small differences in each of these things, but, IMHO, none of them (including focus) are large enough. It almost looks like he is being intentionally camouflaged, but not completely.

Some images have been made where complete blending of the subject into the background is actually the intent. I'll try to find some examples of these for you when I get back home. However in those cases where the subject is intentionally meant to blend into the background, the blending is more pronounced than yours. So, I think you have to make a decision: either blend him in even more, or blend him in a lot less, but don't take the middle ground where he's blended in only partially.

Just my $0.02.

Tom

Great shot and very good treatment Bosch.
I would love to see a version with more space on the right side of the image, It would increase the guy's determination.

OK, I appear outvoted. I still maintain that you need to be subtle about that extra space, presuming you have some in the original photo -- needless to say. Perhaps it would stress his determination or give a picture of him heading into the bg of his labor.

I would not think changing to a frontal view of the worker would work for the psychological impact here. It still strikes me as photojournalism and depiction of the ironworker as a symbol. That wouldn't be changed, symbol-wise by his face, but it would change the message of anonymity and hard work, IMO.

I'm not sure about the background interfering with the subject. However, that said, perhaps blurring the bg might work well.

I may revisit the cropping and give him a little more to the right. But I can assure you that the BG is busy enough that he'd get lost if I loosen up the crop very much.

The aspects that appeal to me are...

The color treatment. I was originally going for B&W, but stopped here.
The tilt of his head. It, along with all the gear he's wearing, tells the whole story.

Last edited:
I may revisit the cropping and give him a little more to the right. But I can assure you that the BG is busy enough that he'd get lost if I loosen up the crop very much.

The aspects that appeal to me are...

The color treatment. I was originally going for B&W, but stopped here.
The tilt of his head. It, along with all the gear he's wearing, tells the whole story.

Sorry but i don't agree with that comment, the cropped out and blurred background gives no mention as to location nor does it lend itself to scrutiny with the pole being carried being cropped also, it's a bit like doing a passport photo and cropping out the ear and small portion of side of head for me.

I'll loosen it up some and have another look at it, but the BG and location are not the story.

Clare: "...I would not think changing to a frontal view of the worker would work for the psychological impact here. It still strikes me as photojournalism and depiction of the ironworker as a symbol. That wouldn't be changed, symbol-wise by his face, but it would change the message of anonymity and hard work, IMO.

I'm not sure about the background interfering with the subject. However, that said, perhaps blurring the bg might work well..."

Differing artistic visions is the great thing about art. What I had is mind with my suggestion to see the subject's face and simplifying the background was along the lines of some of the well-known Depression / WPA era photographs of workers such as this one:

historyNYC-8068w.jpg

http://historyz.com/ebay/8068w.jpg from www.historynyc.com
"1935 WPA TVA NEGRO WORKER WHEELER DAM ALABAMA PHOTO"

To me, seeing the person's face is usually almost essential in the most compelling, publishable photojournalistic images and has the most psychological impact. However, if one is after a fine art abstraction of the situation, maybe, a "weight of the world on the shoulders of the anonymous worker" type of image, as I mentioned in my previous post, I would still simplify even more than the OP's image. Perhaps, something like this:

Ironworker-tjm01_acr-ps01a-01_698px_hi.jpg

Just my $0.02. Obviously, YMMV, LOL!

Tom M

PS - now that I look at my simplified B&W version, I think I would probably crop away 30 or 40% of the remaining bkgnd to heighten the desired "weight of the world yada yada" feeling.

T

Tom, interesting points. I was merely expressing my own opinion as you acknowledged. Art is a many splendored thing. I think the anon view is a different take on the depression era work. There was a unique message there pertaining to the hardness of their lives, etched in thier faces, shown in their clothing and surroundings, and their strength, courage, and will to make do with fate, such as it was. I am very familiar with this period and more in both photography and art, archeology, etc., as I majored in art history for a couple years. I miss those school days. I may go back and take some "electives" one day.

Spruce, your minimizing the color really adds to the composition, removing any emphasis on the BG and placing the focus back on the worker. I think I would favor leaving the very subtle color in his shirt though.

PS: it's interesting I think that this one pic had engendered so much discussion. I think it speaks to the strength of the image.

Back