What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll Comic Sans

hate it, love it, leave it

• hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • love it

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

fotograffiti

Power User
Love it or hate it.

I read an article on Comic Sans that said graphic designers hate it. The designer now came up with Comic Neue, which is just slightly different.

Now I kind of liked the font but that's probably because I'm a girlish woman:mrgreen:

So I wonder...

A font is just a font it can make or break a piece of work. I personally dont dislike any fonts because you use what is right for the job.

I like this answer. One would not make a newspaper in this font I suppose :mrgreen:

font.jpg

in the right places, comic sans is actually okay. but in the most part, it's pretty weak.

Actually, I like Comic Sans. So much in fact that I've used it for all 497 pages (and counting) of my English grammar textbooks. I also use it for all worksheets, charts, etc. that I create for my classes.

Pluses, specific to my uses:

It's friendly and welcoming. Traditional, stuffy, formal textbook fonts can be intimidating to new students. Comic sans tends to imply an initial idea of "Don't worry, there's no reason to be afraid of all these words that you've never seen in print before!"

It's hearty, well-formed, and easy to see/read. Its rather bold nature means it copies extremely well even on lowest settings. In a pinch, I can obtain usable copies even from the ancient, maladjusted, running-out-of-toner copy machines which are the norm on every street corner in this country. Not possible with delicate/serif fonts.

Its bolds, italics, and caps are clean and distinguishable.

It closely resembles actual handwriting, which makes it the perfect choice for worksheets. Completed pages display far more continuity than fonts that are impossible to emulate by hand, such as the Times New Roman inspired styles that are so (ironically) popular as textbook fonts.

It is totally, 100% kid tested and approved. Most of my students are under 12 years old and accustomed to similar fonts, like the one used in the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series of books.

It's different enough to be cool, but not so radically different that it comes across as ostentatious or condescending.

I'm an incurable comic book geek.

A couple of random example pages, and a chart:

page 6.jpgpage 2.jpgchart.jpg

Back