+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What web design software can I use that is compatible with both mac and windows?

Thanks

Re: What web design software can I use that is compatible with both mac and windows?

Expression Web 4 by far the best and most productive for us and it's free now since Microsoft is developing a new program to work with Visual Studio. Dreamweaver is past history in our office. No pun intended to you DW lovers. We have nothing against DW but think EW4 works much better for us.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=36179

Thanks

Re: What web design software can I use that is compatible with both mac and windows?

Dreamweaver is amazing :-P Ecspecially if you can learn how to splice photoshop into html you will be amazed on how far Dreamweaver can take you afterwards :-P

Queen Bee
    Thanks

I agree with inkpad that you should learn some basics. I started out with basic html and html for making tables, java script, using cgi bin, etc. I'm not an accomplished web creator by any means, but it really helps to understand code when you get a bug, which can occur on any program. Updated software is much better than this (I learned DW3), but you never know. I still have to check coding from time to time and DW offers split screen and full screen views so you're expected to have some idea of what it means.
    Photoshop Gurus Site Rules

3 Ps of PS: perseverance, practice, & play!

dv8
    Thanks

DREAMWEAVER for anyone without experience Hands Down.

Being an experienced web designer I have to say I learnt with notepad and html, perl, jave etc.

BUT the very best program I have ever seen is dreamweaver for many a user, newbies, and a timesaver for experienced.

All the other editors have some, maybe many of the functions of dreamweaver but Dreamweaver does it all with a point and click.

Dreamweaver also seems to be very universal so what you see in one browser will work in others. My only gripe is due its ease of use, there is a lot of un-necessary code and spacing with dreamweaver, but once you have a website you can manipulate that to your level of experience.

Queen Bee
    Thanks

Oh man, is that funny (really not funny ha ha) to hear you say: "Dreamweaver also seems to be very universal so what you see in one browser will work in others."

I love Dreamweaver and started with DW3 and html, java, etc. But I haven't used it a lot in the last few years. Maybe it's because I have not yet embraced CSS style sheets that I am having these browser problems. So far, the only browser my website works 100% as expected -wysisyg- is Chrome. Both IE and FF have some strange bug/coding problem as there are broken images, broken links, and tables that don't change even though the change has been uploaded and works fine in Chrome. I only wish.

I think it's time for professional help. Maybe. But I'm intrepid, so we'll see!

dv8
    Thanks

Well I can only speak from experience and all the people I have seen use it love it, but personally you cant beat notepad. Im so old and sad I cant adopt these time saving features. Or maybe im just a control freak. Or just a freak lol
    ibclare likes this.

Guru
    Thanks

People are comfatouble with what they learn first i think..

People that lean expression web seem to think this the best, some that learn dreamweaver first think this is best, Illustrator or coreldraw ?, Photoshop or Paint.net.? Mac or PC?.

I just think that people will say " this is the best " because they learn it first or found it easyer to use than that other software.

For some one new it is quite a dauwnting task to take it in, and decide which to use to start with.. Everyones learning curve is differant.

Probably a bit of a contradiction here but as dv8 pointed out NOTEPAD.. and again as in my last post i would recd wcschools together with Notepad for beginners before shelling out on software .. yeh they can get free trial software which would be a good place to start as well before buying it.

Queen Bee
    Thanks

You're right I think inkpad, that what you first learn to use is what you will usually like best. But as I said, I learned without benefit of Dreamweaver or any other assist program or templates. So jumping into DW was a joy, believe me. Still it was and is important to understand at least the very basics of the coding. I don't pretend to know anything more about javascript for example beyond copy and paste or in DW, point and click. A leap of faith it is Folkes.

That said, I suggest trying out several different softwares. I will always come back to Dreamweaver as it has so many capabilities, is easy to use, has coding views making errors easy to find, has debugging, will take an MS Office document and clean up the garbage coding in it, and as has been mentioned, has all these 'keep it simple stupid' point and click functions. Anchors are so easy to make when you can do this. But like I said, learn what the correct coding looks like for any of these things. You never know when you might accidentally mess it up. If you have a lot of anchors, etc., it could be a huge headache to fix if you don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks

Is this Dreamweaver free..What's the link to download? Or if not, does it has free trial?i'd like to play with it.