What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Moved on to 3D Modelling, complex but fun...

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Hello!

If you've been wondering about inactivity (I doubt you have) I can explain that.

I've been playing around with 3dsMax 2012 for a fair bit now, about a month straight, and thought about using it more often. I found myself actually moving from dreading using the damn thing to absolutely loving every second of it.

once you get into it, it's very easy to use, very much like photoshop, only 3D and a little more populated in terms of tools.
I can't post up any works, for a while, partly because there's nothing of note to actually show, I've mainly just been playing around and familiarizing myself with it, making basic stuff.

I've gone back to my roots in Photoshop, and I'm texturing the models that I make with it only the texturing has somehow managed to confuse me, because now I'm doing it from scratch rather than having a previous map to refer to. fun, but frustrating, especially when the UVW maps render upside down.

overall though, it's quite fun, Autodesk's initiative to give out free 2 year student licenses of their software was a brilliant Idea, I don't see why adobe can't do the same.

Paul

Former Member
Got any images to show us of yours?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I'll be starting a small project at some point with the intention of showing it off at some point this week, but for now, there's nothing of real note to actually look at and think about, at present I've mainly just been messing around with the primitives and splines, making weird shapes et cetera. Trying to find time between clan training and college is a bit hard, but when I've got something I've spent time on with a specific goal and it's polished off, I'd love to show it! :)

Jergon

Yes, 3D modelling is nice hobby. I work with Blender, it is free and good enough for me... :)

i.jpg

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
nice job there!
can't say i really got into blender, couldn't get used to the interface, I seemed to just settle in nicely with 3Dsm.

Paul

Former Member
I sense a force not seen for a long time now.

stufflol

Power User
Render2.jpg

I created that in 3Ds max and vray, I have been using it for around 2 years though and I wouldn't consider that image finished.

What kind of stuff will you be making with 3ds? Interiors? characters?

Jergon

Nice work...:) What about me, I use 3d modelling for many things - historical buildings, military vehicles, airplanes, simply EVERYTHING I like :-D

Dalí.jpg

Last edited:

JasonX

I heard that 3d is much harder to learn than PS. Would you agree with that? I am thinking about starting my 3d learning path.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
it depends on whether you're a 2d or 3d thinker really, I actually find 3D much easier than 2D its difficult to start with Just because of the scale of what you're dealing with, but you do get used to it over time.

MrToM

Guru
I agree with Zee.....hey...that rhymes!

3D isn't really that much more difficult but the fact that you can do sooooo much more with it makes it a much longer process to learn.....much longer.....years.....in fact you never really learn it all as it develops quicker than you can learn it.

The application you use also makes a big difference.....I'm a 3dsMax person too and although Maya is from the same stable I just don't get on with it at all.

I've never use a 'free' 3D application so couldn't say if they are any easier or not.

Regards.
MrToM.