What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Head model upgrade

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
This is just a quick show of where I'm at in terms of 3ds Max, I took a low poly head model from Ghost Recon 1, (you know me :p) and used it as a base model to upgrade the detail slightly.

I've still got a lot more work to do, but it's getting there, slowly but surely. I plan to have it fully detailed and textured to at least 2008 game standards if not better by the end and if all goes well. then i'll see if RV4 likes it, and voila!

because of the age of the model and how it was imported, there are lighting errors, and I can't seem to turn off the viewport light.

It was done using the tesellate modifier in some areas, and the vertexes were manually moved, I'm sure there is an easier way, but it works for me as is, just need to keep an eye on degenerate faces, and yes, i believe there are many.

Old model on the right, New model on the left
Grey-upgrade.jpg
new model in the foreground, old model in the background.
Grey-upgrade2.jpg

my favourite bit, aside from the bad verts (which welded well, thank god!) is the nose, it took a while reworking that, but it looks okay for a model done after about 40 days of using this thing and considering this is an aspect of modelling I haven't even gone near before (I've been using splines), I'm quite pleased....

at some point I hope to remove the static eyes and make a new eye model to replace it, and probably replace the hair, too, because it's a terrible low poly mess :p

comments, ideas, and tips are welcomed!

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
added the old textures back in, removed the eyes, replaced with an untextured version, updated the ears, fixed the nose.

textured comparison.jpg