What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3dsmax splines: Export to Illustrator File

MrToM

Guru
I've used export paths to Illustrator from PS many times but never the other way around, namely 3dsMax splines to PS.

3dsMax has the option to export to an AI format file which works fine but when I open that file or place it into an active document in PS it doesn't all fit on the canvas. It doesn't actually import the path as a 'path' either but as a smart object when placed or a normal rasterized layer if opened. This isn't a problem as I don't really need to import the path as a path, if you see what I mean.

Now, strange as that sounds this is the spline from 3dsMax:

max_splines_to_ps_02.png

This is the AI file in PS:
max_splines_to_ps_01.png

The right hand side gets cropped off for some reason.
This happens no matter how I get it into PS. I tried changing the pivot points and position of the splines in 3dsMax but nothing made any difference....it still gets cropped.
I thought the file may not be exporting correctly so I imported it back into 3dsMax and its all there...perfect, so its not the file itself.

I appreciate there aren't many 3dsMax users here and I don't have Illustrator but I'm assuming this doesn't happen with files exported from Illustrator?

If someone with Illustrator or 3dsMax could try it I'd appreciate some feedback.....even if its bad news.

The AI file from 3dsMax (as in image):
View attachment spline_from_max.AI

As a workround I've resorted to putting another spline, a simple square, around the whole lot so that the bit that gets chopped off isn't a bit I need....messy but it works...ish.

Many thanks.

Regards.
MrTom.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
I opened the attached AI file and it seems to have the square around it. When I open it in either PS or Illustrator it does not get cropped at all.

Can you post one without the square, one of the files that get cropped and cause a problem for you?

The problem may not be with Max.

MrToM

Guru
Oooops!
Blonde moment there!
I had hidden the square, forgotten about it, and then saved the file......square included....sorry about that.

This one should be right, or wrong, depending on how you look at it.

View attachment splines_from_max.AI

Thanks Admin, you're help is very much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Can you post one without the square, one of the files that get cropped and cause a problem for you?

Any development on this?

Its not urgent by any means, just wondering what the state of play is.

Regards.
MrTom.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry MrTom, I missed your previous reply.

Ok with the new file I get the same result in Photoshop.

The problem seems to be that artboard in the AI file is defined as being smaller than the paths.

It can be fixed by opening the file in Illustrator and choosing Object -> Artboards -> Fit to Artwork Bounds then saving.

Here's the result:

View attachment splines_from_max [Converted].ai

MrToM

Guru
No worries, I appreciate you are up to your neck in it at the moment.

The problem seems to be that artboard in the AI file is defined as being smaller than the paths.

So.....does that mean its the way that Max exports the info in the file?
If it opens ok in AI, and, as you've proved, can be made to open ok in PS, the problem has to lie with Max.....does that sound right?

Unfortunately there are no export 'options' in Max for AI, its 'as-is' so to speak.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, literally.

Thanks for trying that out though, very much appreciated.

Regards.
MrTom.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
So.....does that mean its the way that Max exports the info in the file?

If the file you uploaded is directly from Max, then yes it would seem so.

I tried various ways to open the file in Photoshop without Illustrator's help, but didn't have any luck avoiding the crop. There may be a way to do it but I'm not sure what it would be.

MrToM

Guru
If the file you uploaded is directly from Max, then yes it would seem so.

Yeah, it was, I've nothing else that takes an AI file.

I've had another play around and it seems that as long as there is an 'outer' spline, square in shape, which surrounds the splines I'm interested in then it goes into PS without cropping.

Actually thats not strictly true, it does crop that 'outer' spline but equally on all sides so the interesting bit remains central on the canvas and as a bonus oriented correctly too.

A rectangular 'outer' spine doesn't work, the image gets shifted one way or another depending on its origin in Max and consequently then cropped in PS.....why, who knows.

Making the spline to export from Max just one complete spline instead of several individual splines also stops any break up when opening in PS.

So, its not a brilliant solution but at least it works....to a degree.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards.
MrTom.