What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
So I was really pleased with this model, made over the past few weeks, finally getting around to sharing it with you guys.

This is the 9k35 Strela 10, or SA-13 Gopher to anyone using NATO codenames. It's a russian Surface to Air Missile (SAM) launcher based on the MTLB platform, I modelled it with intent for it to be in a game mod which should be happening in its most basic form over the next couple of months or so

It still needs some additions made to the MTLB side, but the turret is done,

so without further ado!!

strela_10_showcase_by_zeealex-d93ccg4.jpg

image links until I can get to a PC:

http://pre06.deviantart.net/199d/th/pre/f/2015/195/f/8/screen13_by_zeealex-d91azgg.png

http://pre06.deviantart.net/257e/th/pre/f/2015/210/5/a/strela_firing_by_zeealex-d93cbsh.jpg

comments and critique on the model itself welcomed, some details are missing due to poly count limits.

the blurriness is the type of renderer used, I cant control that very well yet, still working my way around.

Last edited:

Paul

Former Member
Re: 9k35 Strela 10

Can't critique without images?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator

Renderer didn't have Ray Trace?

Overall Wire mesh looks good. And the turret just about looks right.

Depending on what you want to present, battle used or fresh from maintenance, your camo texture may need a bit of a fixer upper. But it depends whether your model is for close-up or distant scenes. This is where the higher polygons will do its magic for closeups.

If it's for a game, maybe you may need a much lower poly model .

Can't wait to see what the main tank render will look like. I'd say this part will carry the entire look......

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator

I was using PBR much more accurate, or so they say, not too sure about it, but yeah, its a simplified renderer primarily for the more accurate specularity values, as well as closer to the output hardware rendering of the game, but also because mental ray was being highly slow and unreasonable with the alpha channels.

the full wires shown is the intermediate level mesh, the actual game ready model of the turret is about 6,500 polys on a 6,000 poly MTLB
mesh, as for the textures, I agree, it was a very quick and dirty texture (i'm no vehicle texture buff) the guys I work with have a dedicated texture artist for the vehicles.

the PBR renders (textured) are ones of the game optimized mesh.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
two of them are links, if you didnt already guess that, i'm not able to get at a PC at the moment to make them attachments

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
added a few more bits and bobs to the MTLB platform, just a mental ray render:

strela_scene_by_zeealex-d95er48.jpg

no material:

strela_folded_no_mat_by_zeealex-d95edym.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Something like that downed that passenger aircraft over the Ukraine, Russians seps apparently - a bit like your 'green' image shady if i am honest.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Something like that downed that passenger aircraft over the Ukraine, Russians seps apparently - a bit like your 'green' image shady if i am honest.

I never did like what happened there most especially that the craft was from the country I live in..... most especially that Sabah lost one of it's distinguished lecturers in that incident. The entire world is aghast by it and whoever's responsible will get their punishment. We leave it at that....

shady? in what way do you mean that?

The colors do look "shady" dark for a camo texture, Zee. But maybe because you rendered the model on a black background? As it stands now, the launchers look like it's illuminated by floodlamps.

3D modellers usually do test renders with the model on white so its better to see how the entire model and the textures hold up....... just a tip.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
As it stands now, the launchers look like it's illuminated by floodlamps.
Who's to say they arent? XD

no i usually use a PNG format to be fair i saved these as JPEG, the black BG annoys me.

As for the darkness of the camo, Strela 10s are normally quite darkly coloured:
Strela-10SV_May_9_2005_Khabarovsk.jpg

so they will look dark because that's the material setup, the shading of the geometry itself is partly mental ray, partly texture based, the texture has a shadow map baked into it and the renderer adds shadow on itself so parts of the model look very shaded.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Who's to say they arent? XD

no i usually use a PNG format to be fair i saved these as JPEG, the black BG annoys me.

As for the darkness of the camo, Strela 10s are normally quite darkly coloured:
View attachment 57876

so they will look dark because that's the material setup, the shading of the geometry itself is partly mental ray, partly texture based, the texture has a shadow map baked into it and the renderer adds shadow on itself so parts of the model look very shaded.

I've seen images like that and I agree that the actual material is dark. But as I mentioned, rendered or superimposed on a dark background makes it appear darker..... just saying.

Paul

Former Member
I never did like what happened there most especially that the craft was from the country I live in..... most especially that Sabah lost one of it's distinguished lecturers in that incident. The entire world is aghast by it and whoever's responsible will get their punishment. We live it at that....

The colors do look "shady" dark for a camo texture, Zee. But maybe because you rendered the model on a black background? As it stands now, the launchers look like it's illuminated by floodlamps.

3D modellers usually do test renders with the model on white so its better to see how the entire model and the textures hold up....... just a tip.

Agree totally mate.

Paul

Former Member
You will need to put a notification or something up at the start of all your new threads outlining what and not can be asked or given as advice little one.
I answered it as i viewed it, Vee also said as much it's not hard is it - or is it more over you not liking what is said in reply about your work and the fact that it is dark and almost non visible without a flash light, does that help you?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
now that you've finally explained it your context, yes, that helps, I can go back and look at the scene lighting and render it again.

but you need to check your attitude, I simply asked you a question regarding what you meant, as your statement was cryptic and the context of the word 'shady' could have been meant in at least two ways given the context of the prior statement, you not only drove the thread wildly off topic (again) with a statement that was incorrect about the use of said Strela, you seem to have this major issue when I ask you a question, you divert from answering it, and then when I ask again, you hit out at me.

Last edited:

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I've seen images like that and I agree that the actual material is dark. But as I mentioned, rendered or superimposed on a dark background makes it appear darker..... just saying.

oh yeah, definitely, I agree! I might pop it into a game engine actually, it's my cheat sheet for rendering, mainly because it provides a more accurate representation of how it looks in a game, which is what it's targeted for but also the lighting is pretty good in Unreal 4