What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
oh yeah, definitely, I agree! I might pop it into a game engine actually, it's my cheat sheet for rendering, mainly because it provides a more accurate representation of how it looks in a game, which is what it's targeted for but also the lighting is pretty good in Unreal 4

Used in a game, people may not give notice to how dark it looks. For as long as it does what it's supposed to do, game players are wowed by the firing the hell out of the enemy part.

But as one who tweaks with 3d on occasion and who appreciate fine 3d models (gamers too, actually), the preview presentation is the WOW factor - seeing it in the light of day (not in a night scene).

But that's just me talking.... I enjoy seeing every detail and color of a 3d model rendered on a white background lit with 360 degree day ambience lighting......

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I'll get a nice render set done for you to look at then :) any particular views you want?

MrToM

Guru
One thing I noticed was the top of the tracks....would they really be that perfectly straight and horizontal without being supported?

Even if they were supported surely they wouldn't still be that flat......more parabolic.....ya know?

Maybe add some 'gravity' to them?

Otherwise....looks good. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hmm, that's actually a good point! I'll fire up the FFD modifier and play around, thanks for the suggestion MrToM!

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
o.o I am so confused right now, anyway, unreal killed my PC, i'll get the renders tonight

MrToM

Guru
...what you expect me to say? .... topless view? Butt-View? Up-skirt view?...
Yeah....much better.....but First or Third angle would do just as well....although not as funny.

Regards.
MrStillBoredWithNothingBetterToDo.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I've set up a proper daylight system to accompany the new white background rather than using the standard skylight, just going to set up specular and gloss maps

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
right, here's a perspective view without the proper material set up, its still very dark, but it uses a realietic lighting system

strela_daylight_by_zeealex-d95isat.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Still no definition in detail of tanks or what ever they are, the lighting makes everything that is green or black look like it is at night but the white background says it can't be, or is it dusk at best?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Still no definition in detail of tanks or what ever they are, the lighting makes everything that is green or black look like it is at night but the white background says it can't be, or is it dusk at best?

That's strange, Zee..... It may well explain why some of your renders posted in the past seem too dark. Maybe there's a setting tweak you've missed out?.....

Or maybe it's because the material setup isn't properly set... like what you say.

I'm busy with something here at the moment but I'll fire up one of my 3D apps later and create a model render of a SAM model I have or something with the apps's 360 degree daylight set-up.....

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
well if the material isnt set up correctly, its going to do one of two things with the light rays, reflect them them, or not reflect them.

without a specular map, gloss map or normals map, the light cant be manipulated in any way, and there's no 'grey area' the light can only be cast on the geometry and be manipulated to how the geometry is.

it's why I prefer Physically Based Rendering over mentalray or HDRI, because PBR can work much more accurately with very little setup.

Steve

Retired Administrator
You will need to put a notification or something up at the start of all your new threads outlining what and not can be asked or given as advice little one.
I answered it as i viewed it, Vee also said as much it's not hard is it - or is it more over you not liking what is said in reply about your work and the fact that it is dark and almost non visible without a flash light, does that help you?

She did.
Zeealex said:
...........comments and critique on the model itself welcomed, some details are missing due to poly count limits.
So you can rule out comments like
"War war battle fight death no wonder the worlds falling apart, here's an idea why not come away from the norm and climb out the box and be creative instead of sheepish?"

If you want to have discussion about war, start a thread about it in "Off Topic".
This is a discussion on critiquing what Zee created.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
right, popped this into a PB hardware renderer, the material setup is more like what I'm used to with games so it was fairly simple

screen01_by_zeealex-d95oh3b.png

The plain Green bits with barely any shadow (see the wheels) are bits that haven't been UV/textured yet, so they're a little harder to define.

screen02_by_zeealex-d95oh9t.png

screen03_by_zeealex-d95ohcg.png
screen04_by_zeealex-d95ohng.png

screen05_by_zeealex-d95ohqg.png

not perfect but you get a less shadow ridden look at the geometry.

I can remove the material if that would help.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
It still looks kinda dark. Maybe it's me.... I haven't re-calibrated my monitor ever since I had a clean.install 3 weeks ago. Downloading the images to check in PS later.

The launcher assembly looks pretty good, tho..... I like the top details - looks like you nailed that part. I'd love to see the details on the tracks and wheels.