What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MrToM

Guru
I can't work out from the comments made so far if there really is an issue with how dark these images are turning out....and by that I mean its a question that has evolved as the comments have progressed....so I dunno if it IS genuinely a problem that you are trying to solve or not.....does that make sense?

Anyway....here's my 2¢.

The original images looked fine to me, dark I agree but to me, also being from a 3D stable, this is normal.
Objects which are not illuminated in their final environment can, and often do, look totally different....the darkening effect in those first images is the result of no input from the environment lighting.....its just black.

That said, the latest images go the other way. The environment is now contributing to the 'global' illumination but how often is one of those things in a totally white environment?

Placed in the right environment, and with the correct lighting it should, and probably will, look fine.

To me, both sets of renders look just as I would expect given the two very different environments....which is why I'm not sure that the brightness of the renders is actually an issue.

Having said that one thing did spring to mind though.....gamma correction.

As a VRay user the idea of 'Linear workflow' seemed to make sense and I read countless articles about the subject. From what I could gather the technique wasn't just for VRay but as a general 3D workflow.....the renderer didn't make a difference.

One of the easiest and best explained articles I read was this one from Aversis...
http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/vray-20-gamma-linear-workflow_01.htm

Although it uses VRay the principles of Linear Workflow are the same regardless of renderer. It certainly produces a much better result.....more detail in the darker areas.

I wouldn't say this is something you definitely should use, I don't think you need it just for games, but for showing work done outside the final environment it may be something that could just 'lift' the darker areas of the model to compensate for the lack of contributing any global illumination.

I tried lifting the gamma to 2.2 in Photoshop on one of your images but it didn't have quite the same effect....not over the entire image anyway so I guess you'd have to do this for real at render time if you were going to do it all.

Anyway....like I said....problem or not, that's just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrToM.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I can't work out from the comments made so far if there really is an issue with how dark these images are turning out....and by that I mean its a question that has evolved as the comments have progressed....so I dunno if it IS genuinely a problem that you are trying to solve or not.....does that make sense?

I believe there is a slight brightness issue as if you were to look at the texture, it's actually much lighter than the rendered geometry leads you to believe.

The original images looked fine to me, dark I agree but to me, also being from a 3D stable, this is normal.
Objects which are not illuminated in their final environment can, and often do, look totally different....the darkening effect in those first images is the result of no input from the environment lighting.....its just black.

That said, the latest images go the other way. The environment is now contributing to the 'global' illumination but how often is one of those things in a totally white environment?

Placed in the right environment, and with the correct lighting it should, and probably will, look fine.

To me, both sets of renders look just as I would expect given the two very different environments....which is why I'm not sure that the brightness of the renders is actually an issue.

Having said that one thing did spring to mind though.....gamma correction.

As a VRay user the idea of 'Linear workflow' seemed to make sense and I read countless articles about the subject. From what I could gather the technique wasn't just for VRay but as a general 3D workflow.....the renderer didn't make a difference.

One of the easiest and best explained articles I read was this one from Aversis...
http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray...orkflow_01.htm

Although it uses VRay the principles of Linear Workflow are the same regardless of renderer. It certainly produces a much better result.....more detail in the darker areas.

I wouldn't say this is something you definitely should use, I don't think you need it just for games, but for showing work done outside the final environment it may be something that could just 'lift' the darker areas of the model to compensate for the lack of contributing any global illumination.

I tried lifting the gamma to 2.2 in Photoshop on one of your images but it didn't have quite the same effect....not over the entire image anyway so I guess you'd have to do this for real at render time if you were going to do it all.

Anyway....like I said....problem or not, that's just my 2¢.

Regards.
MrToM.

I agree, I might actually set up a more realistic render environment, trees, grass, etc, I think a white background for rendering would normally be used to showcase product designs, no?

as for this linear workflow, this ls VERY interesting indeed, and gamma correction (or lack thereof) might actually be partly the reason why it's rendering slightly too dark, i'll have to look at Vray in depth and try this out, thank you so much for sharing this! it's been a very useful contribution! I'll definitely have to play with it at some point!

currently, however, I realised that I'd UV'd the MTLB all wrong, so, I've had to re-uv and retexture that, but it's actually a massive improvement!

thanks for your help MrToM

Zee

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

"Linear Workflow" was a big buzz-phrase a while back.....so much so that I think VRay eventually implemented it into their renderer, so its even easier now....if you have that version of VRay of course.

Regards.
MrToM.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Lighting was never the issue. It's just that I wanted to see the model in it's entirety. I enhanced your renders a bit .....

9k35-strela-10-surface-air-missile-launcher-3d-gaming-model-screen05_by_zeealex.jpg 9k35-strela-10-surface-air-missile-launcher-3d-gaming-model-screen02_by_zeealex.jpg

And I must say it's absolutely a beauty. I like the details on the launcher assembly and front cab. Except for the links on the treads and need for more drive wheels and a bit more detail on them, you seem to have nailed the look. For gaming, the missing detail doesn't matter..... it will still make a stunning monster that I'm sure gamers would love to use.

Ya you're right... you haven't set-up the materials properly yet or maybe because you had a simple camo on it. I detect pattern on the front and a bit on the launcher. Fully clad in high detail texture, it will really make the model pop.

On another note..... I don't know how much one makes selling these to game creators but maybe you should also look into the feasibility of marketing your 3Dmodels to avid hobbyists or professional users who use these things for their personal or commercial renders. And based on some of the 3d content you've created so far, you have promise as a 3d model vendor. Even your 3d armor has promise.....

There is a bit more work involved.... you have to get the mechanical detail to a "T" , create hi-detail textures and make the model morphable (this is the most important element) and on this particular item - wheels and treads should be able to move, launcher can be raised up or down and maybe a missile to go with it.

Just idea I wanted to suggest to you.....

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
hey,

thanks for the complement on my work, always good to hear! :D I will be getting around to doing High Poly treads at some point, currently we have a tank nerd doing all of those for us as he knows the specifics of the MTLB tread setup, the MTLB model i have here actually has the correct wheel number, it's just that they are too small, it needs axles though.

now that i've redone the UV's and optimized them a bit, high detail textures aren't a problem, as i said above, i was scaling my islands incorrectly, and that led to problems getting in details on the texture

wow, you really think so? I mean, I'd love to one day be good enough so as I earn money doing this, currently I do all of my work for free, but do you really think I have potential for that?
I am probably going to think about really squeezing the detail into this model once it's been put in game and use it primarily as a render model. Currently the turret does collapse and erect as it should in real life (it was one of the main targets in the brief) and I can animate the tracks. It also has a missile:

strela_firing_by_zeealex-d93cbsh.jpg

but yeah, I mean, if you think I'm capable of it, I'd be willing to give it a shot.
thanks for running it past me!

New PB renders:
screen09_by_zeealex-d95tx5z.png
screen14.png

do excuse the smoothing issues :)

I'll get some Vray or Mental Ray Renders tomorrow, the materials can be set up correctly now.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
wow, you really think so? I mean, I'd love to one day be good enough so as I earn money doing this, currently I do all of my work for free, but do you really think I have potential for that?

but yeah, I mean, if you think I'm capable of it, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Depending how good you are at it, the functionality of the item and what 3d format it can be used as , there are numerous 3D model marketplaces in the net.

Yours isn't complete yet but as it stands now, ask yourself how it stacks up to this one.....

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/soviet-sam-sa-13-gopher-3d-model/244930 ...

You're not far behind, just needs to add in the missing details which is a snap for you to create considering you've done the most difficult part. Given perseverance and time with the enthusiasm you put into your work, I see no reason why you can't make better profit with your skills......

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
a near finished interior parts set 1
screen19_by_zeealex-d9dwe53.png

according to the resident armoured vehicles expert in the team, this strela 10 will be the first strela 10 in any game to have an accurately modelled interior, primarily because images are few and far between.

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
a near finished interior parts set 1
View attachment 59566

according to the resident armoured vehicles expert in the team, this strela 10 will be the first strela 10 in any game to have an accurately modelled interior, primarily because images are few and far between.

Most Strata models I've seen don't have an interior. I've seen a couple of 3d tank model packages with interior views (WW2 and current Sherman).

Not bad being the first in gaming history. :thumbsup:

Doesn't show interior details (classified, I guess) but here's good detail views of the tank ... http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-9K35-Strela-10.html

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
ooh thanks for the link! I must've missed this post! :O

The Geometry got imported into the game's native format a few days ago, we're waiting on our dedicated texture artist to finish up the textures, then I might be able to get some in engine shots of the MTLB at least. it should look pretty cool when done, this is the sort of quality you can expect once it's in the engine (different vehicle I know):
rhsarmedforcesoftherussianfederation_2_4.jpg
Ihat vehicle one of my colleagues did. we're hoping the MTLB will match its quality, perhaps even surpass it due to lack of complexity.

Last edited: