What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Photoshop 3d - texture onto model

0Aurora

Hello :idea:

is there a way to put a layer onto model ? something like merging 2 layers. I have a picture that i want to put on a car model and I would like to merge it into it "from point of view"

I couldn't find anything on google, only "draw on object" but never "merge layer to object"

I hope you undestand

Last edited:

Totorang

Helo there.
What you mean "Mege layer" ? You can merge textures in photoshop if you need.
Maybe you do not understand how to apply a texture to the model?
First u need to do
UV map on 3ds max or maya (or something like that) (google for help).
Then i foun video for you. Enjoy.
On 6:38 - photoshop texturing

Last edited:

0Aurora

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm not in home and can't check if I have such option as "Merge Down" (which places the layer onto model like in the video).

I also, have a model with UV already inside. It's a car model for a game, and placing "sticker" from point-of-view (as it was shown again, in the video You have shown me) is much much easier then playing and frustrating with wireframe of the car in the UV

0Aurora

8f346d9b0df612e6295e395f602e14dd.gif

And nothing happens.. Any ideas ? tell me when you need more info to help

Totorang

Sorry, I was busy.
When you draw a texture, You can save all the separate layers and then combine them as you like without 3D mode.

Why do you want to merge them? After all, when you convert everything in texture, it becomes one piece.
And you can try Quixel plagin. That better then 3D mode on photoshop (IMHO).

Sorry for my English )

Last edited:

0Aurora

Sorry, I was busy.
When you draw a texture, You can save all the separate layers and then combine them as you like without 3D mode.

Why do you want to merge them? After all, when you convert everything in texture, it becomes one piece.
And you can try Quixel plagin. That better then 3D mode on photoshop (IMHO).

Sorry for my English )
I don't know what is Quixel.

What I want to do, is to merge the layer INTO model so that I dont need to work on the car through its UV, because the wireframe of each part of the car is separated, and fitting each part of the layer on each part of the car is very frustrating and time consuming, and this way, i could just merge the layer on the individual car parts and then cut the rest i dont need in the UV

MrToM

Guru
You've answered your own question really.

With the diffuse map on a layer above the model and the model positioned as you want it, just merge it down.
You can do this by right clicking the diffuse map layer and choosing 'Merge Down'.

The only things you need to make sure of is that the area on which you want to project the image map is just one piece of geometry and that the current 'texture' layer in the material is editable.

3:19 No Audio.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

0Aurora

If I answered my question I would just say "I know now thanks bye".

I didint know about something like unifying models. the file im opening is .psb file, not .obj, its probably what you said about being a one geometry. Also when I open 3d tab there is nothing like unify object or generate UV.

if anything, the video you showed is on photoshop cc 2014, im using cs6 extended.

3316976c0315779e68b0db0e4438f1c6.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Ok...sorry to have bothered you.

Your original post did request applying an image to a model though...
...is there a way to put a layer onto model ? something like merging 2 layers. I have a picture that i want to put on a car model and I would like to merge it into it "from point of view"...
...which is exactly what I showed you how to do.

Now that we know what version you are using maybe someone with CS6 ext can help you out.

Good luck.

Regards.
MrToM.