What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Roman War Chariot

This is a work in progress.

It might be interesting to see how this project will turn into an image according to what the title suggests.
I'll post an updated image frequently of my progress .

0 Chariot.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Coming on nicely! :thumbsup:

Just a little word of warning before you go too far....be careful of "Intersecting Geometry".

I appreciate you're nowhere near finished yet and that you're still experimenting but just thought I'd mention it as this is a really good example....(I noticed it in your last thread too but thought I'd already said enough.)

When modelling in 3D its very important to model individual 'pieces' as 'individual'....and as they would be in the real world.

Intersecting geometry seems like the easy way out of what could be complex modelling but the end result will suffer....especially if you start to use Ambient Occlusion, (AO), as mentioned in one of your other threads.

People tend to forget that EVERYTHING in 3D is calculated mathematically and all calculations are based from the vertices....the most important sub-object of any 3D model.

Intersecting geometry means that calculations are way off....take this example for instance...

intersecting_geometry_MT_01.png

Where would the AO be calculated for this?
From the vertices at the end of the upright geometry....and where are they?
Deep inside the other part......so would the resulting AO be correct?
No.
The AO would be calculated to be at the bottom of the upright part, buried in the other object....and as that doesn't butt up to any other object, it just stops, the AO just wouldn't be calculated.

Even if it was calculated, you still wouldn't see it as it wouldn't be visible being inside other geometry.

This not only affects AO but ALL lighting calculations...shadows, materials, reflections, refraction...etc etc...and each of those has a knock-on effect on everything else....which in turn has a knock-on effect....etc etc.

Try to model objects as they really are and you'll notice a big difference in the results.
Yeah I know....thats a lot of work....but why spoil the ship?

Of course there is nothing wrong with taking the easy way out for now so this is just for reference....and if you try it hopefully you will notice a difference.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks a lot for explaining these possible problems about "intersecting geometry" to me.
What you said really make sense, and I'll have to try and adapt this knowledge on my next project.
At the moment my work in progress is already in the next stage, and I'm anxious to change too much.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
That looks very nice Chris, in your steampunk style.
Can't wait to see it texturized (sorry MrT...) and colored.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Beautiful Chris, considering the complexity of the project.
Your future steampunk projects will look very real!
The lighting is very realistic.
I just feel that the background is a bit too dark.
Keep them coming.
:thumbsup:

Thanks very much for your feedback Eggy.
It was late last night when I finished the job. My eyes must have been a bit cloudy.
I adjusted the background now.

Chariot8 1700.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Way better Chris.
I love the details in the texture (.) something I've never managed to achieve in PS 3D.

Yes, we got to know the limited opportunities to apply materials in PS 3D.
I agree Blender produces much better and realistic looking textures, though it's very time consuming for beginners to find your way through the jungle of possibilities.