What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D I-CUBE My Personal Little Helper

Again a BLENDER job, where I learned to do proper insets, splits and cuts without damaging the mesh.

On my last job I didn't care so much about a clean mesh, which resulted in a file with 220 mb.
The file weight of the present job is only 5.2 mb.

I'm open for critique, and your comments are much appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Robo Cube 1700+Laser.jpg

MrToM

Guru
...On my last job I didn't care so much about a clean mesh...
You see why I pushed you into getting out of the habit of 'intersecting geometry'...?

(Although you're not quite there yet....there still seems to be some here, those screws are a dead give-away!!!) :rofl:

If you use 'Ambient Occlusion' there is no way you can have intersecting geometry....if you know what AO is then you'll know why that's the case.

A clean mesh is of utmost importance....it's the 'base' for everything else...materials, lighting and rendering...so it needs to be right.

i think its clear to see the difference though.....where its done properly.

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks for your positiv feedback MrTom.
I use AO on every job. I actually like it a lot.

This is too funny...I waited to see your comment on the screws.
After 1 hour of postwork in PS I saw the flaws, though I didn't want to go back and fix it in Blender.
For me this job was completed, and ready for posting it here.

MrToM

Guru
...I didn't want to go back and fix it in Blender...
At least you are aware of the error and know how to fix it...that's the main thing.

As for AO....well looking at the circular parts on the sides it 'looks' as if these are intersecting....there is no 'visible' AO on those parts...

AO_MT_01.png

I say 'visible' because it IS there, but its on the part that is inside the other geometry...so not visible. AO works on the very edges of the objects, hide those 'edges' inside other geometry and 9 times out of 10 you wont see it...and it looks very odd.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Very nice project Chris!
You're getting better and better at it.
I know what MrTom means (don't know the terminology) in this case. I compare it with PS 3D as where you push an object below the ground plane every effect on that piece of object below the ground plane (like the shadow) will lose the effects.

I must say I admire your perseverance on learning Blender... :thumbsup: