What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D SKATE 3D Typography

gedstar

Guru
Well you've been busy today Lambert, very nicely done indeed, no critique from me all looks great :thumbsup:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Ged!

And yes, I had one of those days...:cheesygrin:

But actually the work was supposed to look like this

3D Typography Skate.jpg

but that takes all the attention away from the letters, although there's some reality in it...:rofl:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent concept. Great job Lambert!

Perhaps the wall might use some shading, it's a bit too evenly lit. The overall image lighting is a bit subdued and the shadows of the letters are a bit too strong for the suggested ambient lighting and the highlighting on the letters. But these are just minor observations and can certainly be ignored.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Sam!

On this one I was not aiming for the total picture but putting the focus on the wheeled letters.

That was a though thing to get them right and aligned.

So I agree with you that the backgrounds are a bit neutral but that was on purpose.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Arghh, back to the drawing table! :banghead:

Thanks for pointing me that out Tom, obviously I didn't see it...

I don't know what happened. I'll look into it tomorrow but keep in mind that my interest is fading...............(render time render time render time render time...:eek:)

Here's how it should look

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
:idea:

I know what happened, I did type the word SKATE, put a stroke on it and deleted the inside. I made a 3D extrusion and went to 3D--split extrusion to manipulate each letter separately.The inside of the letter A disappeared, I just did the test.

MrToM

Guru
...obviously I didn't see it...

Happens to us all at some point.
Concentrating on an image for too long can lead to missing the blindingly obvious, I know I've done it in the past many times.

One thing puzzles me though.
It's evident you like doing 3D stuff and yet you still put yourself through the agony of using PS to do it....why?

I'd like to see you move on to a dedicated 3D package to see what you can do with it. Without the frustration of PS hanging over your head I reckon we could see some [more] amazing stuff from you.

It's time to move away from PS for 3D...seriously, its holding you back.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Tom.

I know PS 3D is very limited and for the real work I should at least begin with Blender.

I have an account and installed it and...uninstalled it after two weeks.

There's so much in PS I still need to learn. Mostly I use little 3D obj in my composites and render time isn't an issue then.

But now I'm (for the moment) into 3D typography and I agree, PS 3D is crap!

One day, I'll start again with Blender...

gedstar

Guru
Well MrTom you certainly have an eagle eye, I looked at the image a few times and never even noticed that :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Well MrTom you certainly have an eagle eye...

Only because it's not my project, had it have been I probably would have missed it too...almost guarantee it.

I've missed whole chunks of stuff out of projects before now and didn't realise it until someone pointed it out...they were all very obvious omissions too.

Images can play tricks on you like that....the devils!

Regards.
MrToM.

Again a very cool creation Eggy, that is attracting in a strange way.
Artificial and somehow natural at the same time, almost with a surreal feeling to it.
A good idea would be to to play around with different light settings to create a more exiting atmosphere.
Though we all know that PS 3D is very limited in comparison with other 3D programs, therefore I agree with MrTom's comment earlier.
Maybe you've reached a point where you can't get better with this program. I experienced the same problems about a year ago and decided to learn Blender.
I'm not happier but I can create more appealing images than before.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Again a very cool creation Eggy, that is attracting in a strange way.
Artificial and somehow natural at the same time, almost with a surreal feeling to it.
A good idea would be to to play around with different light settings to create a more exiting atmosphere.
Though we all know that PS 3D is very limited in comparison with other 3D programs, therefore I agree with MrTom's comment earlier.
Maybe you've reached a point where you can't get better with this program. I experienced the same problems about a year ago and decided to learn Blender.
I'm not happier but I can create more appealing images than before.

Thanks Chris.

I'll work on the project tomorrow and make it a more unified picture.

You're 100 % correct about Blender, no doubt, but I wish days to have 36 hours and more 'me' time...(and I'm retired!)

I'm into PS for like 3 years now and there's so much I still have to master.

But hey, as long as I'm having fun...:giggle: