What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D PSG 3D Typography

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Last one (for now).
I've found a nice set of free IBL and couldn't resist using it by making a shiny thing. (Chris is gonna love it)
The original is 5000 X 3500 px @ 300 ppi and I pushed 'render' before I went to bed. Estimated render time according to PS; 7 hrs and some change...

3D Typography PSG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes Ged, this is the reflection of the metal sheet wich actually is a metal texture turned into a 'postcard' with a small amount of bump.

Therefore you get this awkward tubular dotted reflection from the metal sheet on the letter.

You know, I make the 3D letters, put a 3D background under it to make them interact with each other, then I press render.
From that moment its out of my hands, PS calculates the way it should look...:shocked:

You're right Eggy, I love these shiny surfaces.
Brilliant job!
Easy to fix what Ged mentioned. Just make that part a darker Red.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris!

I knew you'd like it.

But there's nothing to correct.

The 'flaw' you see on the botton of the P isn't a 'flaw' but a realistic reflection of the scratched metal underground on the tube shaped P.

In a lesser amount you'll see the same on the botton of each letter if you look closely.

Again, thanks for that link to Inspiration grid'.
I'm doing the simple 3D typography with my own twist.
Wait until I start with the difficult ones...

Try one in Blender Chris! I really would like to see the result in Blender.

MrToM

Guru
Ooooo.......deja-vu.....(I've said that before!)

Remember some time back Eggy when I was trying to get people to understand what was going on with 3D? Looks like its your turn to explain it now which is a good thing....it means at least you now understand it! :thumbsup:

No disrespect to those still struggling with it, it can be confusing and in their defence I would add that the material used in the 'problem' area probably isn't helping.

Take a close look at that VERY shiny material.....where in the real world have you ever seen a material look like that? Its almost as shiny as a mirror but with colour, and do you see many coloured mirrors around? Not really.

Its too shiny for plastic, ceramic, polished metal perhaps? Hard to say....it doesn't really look like any material found in everyday life.....so the doubt starts to creep in, and that's when people start to assume its a mistake.

Its all perfectly understandable though, don't think I'm having a go at anyone....its just part of the learning curve for everyone when it comes to 'realistic' 3D, the viewer understanding what they are looking at and the creator getting it 'right' in the first place to remove any doubt.

I couldn't exactly say this is a 'good' piece, it's not an improvement on your previous work, but hopefully it shows you where some improvement could be made.....getting those materials right!

It takes a long time too but absolutely worth it in the end.

The four major parts to any 3D project are:
The Model.
The Materials.
The Lighting.
The Render.

Nail all four and your job is done.

Just as an experiment try turning down the 'reflectivity' of that material and maybe add some glossiness, fresnel reflections if PS does those or add a fall-off map to the reflections. (The usual alternative if fresnel isn't available).

Make that material a more recognisable material like 'plastic'....(Which isn't shiny at all unless viewed at a very specific angle...see 'fresnel reflectivity'...even untreated wood can become highly reflective at the right angle.)

You got much closer with your 'concrete' letters, why not these?

Just my 2¢

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks again Tom!

Let me first say that I know I went crazy on this one...:devilish:

I just had a new set of IBL to replace the standard IBL pic PS provided.
I think I crancked the 'shine' and 'reflection' on that 'plastic' or whatever material up to 100 %, just to see the effect of it.
Is it natural? Of course not, it could cause permanent damage to your eyes...

I am experimenting with 3D and materials and buzy with a 3D project with 34 3D objects and PS kicked met out like 3 or 4 times already.
I'm not giving up yet but it doesn't will last longer...

Thanks again for your to the point observations. :thumbsup:

Thanks Chris!

I knew you'd like it.

But there's nothing to correct.

The 'flaw' you see on the botton of the P isn't a 'flaw' but a realistic reflection of the scratched metal underground on the tube shaped P.

In a lesser amount you'll see the same on the botton of each letter if you look closely.

Again, thanks for that link to Inspiration grid'.
I'm doing the simple 3D typography with my own twist.
Wait until I start with the difficult ones...

Try one in Blender Chris! I really would like to see the result in Blender.

Thanks Eggy.
I have almost no time these days to create 3D images. I'm busy with an ongoing exhibition of "Steampunk images" in Zürich.
It started February 2nd and ends on February 23d.
I have to be present in the gallery Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 15 pm. to 22 pm.
It is very tiresome but also rewarding. I'm proud, because meanwhile I sold 6 pictures already.

Maybe at a later date, I will show my creations again.

Regards Chris