What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D My first real Blender work: Vintage Radio

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I was inspired by the work of chrisdesign and I love vintage stuff.

Vintage Radio.jpg

I spent the last week modeling shapes and trying to get a grip on modefying vertices, edges and planes...:shocked:

So be gentle while commenting...:cheesygrin:

There are numerous errors I'll have to take in account for my next projects.

The biggist one was forgetting to smooth beveling before texturizing it.
When I tried doing this afterwards I ended up with a black rear part of the radio case just like in the front part of the radio.
I didn't knew how to correct that so I left it the way it was.

Vintage Radio mistake.jpg

You see here the five steps beveling (CTRL+B).

Note that the chrome galloon is not in one piece when bending in the corners. This is not an error because it was done like this back in the time! (also on cars).

Well, give it to me...

gedstar

Guru
No complaints from me Lambert, even without the smoothing as you mentioned it still looks like an excellent creation :thumbsup:

I should be ready to do something of my own in about 6 months :biglaff:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Ged!

Doing tutorials like you did is a way the learn and I did some too but I wanted to be able to create my own ideas and therefore I needed to be able to do the basics.
I don't have to tell you how hard it is to begin a new piece of graphic software!
There were moments my blood pressure was presumed critical...:biglaff:

gedstar

Guru
There were moments my blood pressure was presumed critical...

I hear you there, I took all the food out of the fridge and filled it with beer, seems to help :rofl:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
At moments I would have giving up my left arm for a cigarette...:eek:

MrToM

Guru
Hmmmm...let me cast my beady eye over it.
(And no, I don't mean those Oasis geezers.)

Do you want an honest dissection?

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Of course MrT, how can I learn from my mistakes if nobody tells me what is wrong! :mrgreen:

(BTW, who the f*** is Oasis?)

Last edited:
This creation is an outstanding achievement of you.:thumbsup:
I admire your perseverance to show your own work here after this very short learning time.
Everyone makes mistakes during the work process, which sometimes cannot be completely covered up.
The most important thing is that you learn to do a little bit better at the following job.
However, with each new job there are new and different obstacles to master. Compromises and adjustments are pre-programmed.

I lean back and enjoy what I see here. :beerchug:

Thank's Eggy for showing your work.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris!

Again, step by step...and having fun on the way!

MrToM

Guru
You've already mentioned the missing smoothing groups so no need to go over that.

Looks good to me....attention to detail gets a big :thumbsup:

If anything I'd probably turn down the reflectivity on some of the chrome....its a little 'too' perfect and make sure there are no 90° corners. These don't exist in the real world so the tiniest of chamfers is required just to take the edge off it.....you'll notice the difference immediately.

The chrome galloon is good...just the right amount of reflectivity.

The only other thing is watch the scale of your models.
Is that a big radio or a small carpet / rug?

The lighting is calculated using real-world properties so you need to have everything at the right size, thats not to say you don't but just in case.

In the past I've seen people model similar sized items at a size anything from a matchbox to a house....but never 'radio' sized....then they wondered why it didn't look right when rendered.

Having the model at the right size will also make applying materials easier too...especially when it comes to UV's and making the maps in PS.

Nothing to report really....you're getting too good....stop it! :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nothing to report really....you're getting too good....stop it! :biglaff:Regards. MrToM.

:rofl:

Starting the day with a good laugh, that's the right way...

Well MrToM, thank you for taking the time to point me the right direction!

I know/you know its a whole new ball game :)mrgreen:) for me and there's so much coming on to me.

I already have a stack of notes beside me with mistakes and good things so, I'm not worrying, I'll get there in time...

Thanks again for the help! :thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
...Thanks again for the help!...
No worries.

There aren't too many kids in the 3D playground anymore so anyone who dares play in it needs to be kept happy.

You're doing great, as is everyone.

The hardest part is learning to think in that third dimension....that the models you create need to replicate the real-world as near to exact as possible....detail is critical, however trivial...if you need a 60watt light bulb then you model a 60watt light bulb, not just position a light source.....ya know?

It can be frustrating at times and there never seems to be a 60watt light bulb at the end of the tunnel but one day everything will fall into place...and now that you've stopped fighting to get PS to work you'll get there much quicker too.

Anyway, enough waffle.....I'll let you get on and animate your swinging balls.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Again thanks MrToM, but the swinging balls, that's future...I have so much ideas now my head is buzzing...:cheesygrin: