What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Blender - 50s Fighter Jet

Eggy

Retired Moderator
This is one of the many attemps to apply materials with UV mapping.
Not perfect, far from..but I learned its not evident to apply a material on a modified shape.
I thought lets start with a cylinder and use this cylinder to extrude the wings and tale section in one part.
I couldn't find a way to apply the 'hull' texture' on it in one part so starting back again with separate parts.
I also learned you can work in layer too and use a background directly in Blender.
This started as an exercise and the proportions aren't correct but it turned out not too bad so I'll post it.
Only the decals are in PS.

50s Figther Jet.jpg

MrToM

Guru
This is excellent.

...but I learned its not evident to apply a material on a modified shape...
Indeed...a valuable lesson learnt that its not just a case of applying one material that fits all....it needs to be 'tailored' to fit.....with UV's.

...I couldn't find a way to apply the 'hull' texture' on it in one part...
This is a key part in 3D.

When you are creating a model you need to think ahead and divide it up into its component parts. I usually make each part according to its material...this is after all how things are in the real world...different parts are made from different materials but put together to create the 'whole'.

Doing it this way makes applying materials much much easier as the whole part is just one material...and it also makes applying the UV's a darn sight easier too!

...the proportions aren't correct but it turned out not too bad...
Who cares? I see this a giant leap forward in learning how 3D 'works', and thats vitally important....you are learning the 'building blocks' of 3D, and once you have those nailed you can create anything...and it'll look good too.

I know you keep saying 'baby steps' and that you don't want to rush into things and thats perfectly understandable but just look at what you have done here....and it wasn't 'that' difficult now was it?

Anyways, very impressed with your progress...the learning curve is flattening out. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thank you MrToM!

Although I intended to spend more time on PS Blender seems to have something attracting.
This 'project' was not a project, just an bunch of exercises, but on the way it turned into something I liked.
Not perfect by any means, but yes, I'm starting to get the idea of how real 3D works.
Did I had to start all over? Yes, so many times until I found a way.

In a real project I would have made an 'action' plan with a sketch to focus on.

Its like PS, practise, practise and then some more practise...

Lambert, this is a remarkable job, done with great care and using your acquired knowledge and practical experience.
I really admire your tenacity to thoroughly learn this "3D stuff".

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris!

Well, I've lost count of how much tutorials I've watched, but at a certain point I decided to go for something totally different...

In the way I had some 'technical' problems, like to key-combo SHIFT+ALT that is used in Windows to shift from keyboard type (AZERTY to QUERTY or back).

I live in a country where they still use AZERTY, and in Blender the key-combo shift+alt is quite common, meaning I got from AZERTY to QUERTY...grrrr :frown: not knowing why I got the wrong command...
Not to mention that my keypad (Logitec wireless) isn't always responding making my heartrate just a bit to high to be healthy...:biglaff:

Chris, with your knowledge of Blender, why don't you make us a nice 'steampunk' piece? (still love that!)

I've seen some beauties on the net, and if you're not quick enough I might try one :cheesygrin:

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Ged!

Come on, get your creating juices working...