What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Using CG materials for real Blender

Eggy

Retired Moderator
This is why I started Blender:

Real Blender.png

I've been messing arround in Blender in an attempt to master the interface and idea of Blender.

I could get on making composites and try to make them as real looking as possible or moving to the next step, using CG materials.

It is not enough to 'dress' a shape with a material.

To be realistic you need to work with diffuse, displacement, gloss, normals and reflection maps from one and the same 'material' and the use of light.

There are two ways to do this; make all the maps yourself (lots of tutorials) or find a site where the maps are available.

Before starting making my own maps I used this one: https://www.poliigon.com/texture/2197

Its not free but there's a limited amount of free maps.

I used some of them to 'compose' the scene I uploaded.

Of course I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXNZkEoTAk&t=82s

Let's move on...

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Indeed Chris, this is the 'real' realistic work and I intend to go deeper into it.

MrToM

Guru
Photoshop does actually have a good 'Bump' and 'Normal' map creation filter....surprisingly.

With a B&W image, (may work with colour but never tried it), check out FILTER > 3D > GENERATE BUMP MAP / NORMAL MAP

There is also a Normal map generator plugin by NVIDIA which worked really well although whether it still works with the latest versions of PS I couldn't say. You really needed to know how Normal maps worked in order to get a good result but it was worth it....the PS version is somewhat simplified but appears to give good results too.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the tips MrToM!

I will look into it.

Since I 'discovered' the use of all kinds of 'texturized' materials and one way to apply them, I picked up one of my first works, a chrome tube chair that was placed on an even background with standard camera hight.

I used that chair to place it in a new environement and it does look more realistic.

Step by step I'll get there... :cheesygrin:

Tube Chair 03.jpg

I used your cover for PSG magazine MrToM, and I hope you don't mind...

MrToM

Guru
...I used your cover for PSG magazine...I hope you don't mind...
Ha ha.....I don't mind at all....if its on the internet its fair game.

Just remember, like everything else in 3D...subtlety is the key, don't overdo it.....keep it as close to the real world as possible.

When it comes to bump and / or normal maps I never really had the need for normal maps, I found a good quality greyscale image produced as good, if not better, results.....although I still had the Nvidia plugin installed in case I needed it. (There are other 'normal' map generators but if you have PS....)

Another thing to think about is when to use the maps for displacement and when to use them for bump. Generally the finer the detail the less important displacement becomes and you will find that bump is enough. Use displacement for larger detail and of course model it if its any bigger than that.

You'll find your own crossover points as you do more, what to model, what to displace and what to bump.....and hopefully Blender will allow you to place a bump map, on top of any displacement on top of your model....see the scaling of detail there?

Looking good so far though, excellent stuff.....and that mag isn't a bad read either.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks again MrToM!

You're probable referring to the chrome tubular chair but I thought in this case; chrome is chrome and should be shiny... :biglaff:

For the rest, I'll have a lot of work ahead but as long as I'm having fun, its a good thing and keeps my little grey cells a work...